Stop Shared Photostreams from using cellular data?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by LincolnsiPod, Oct 7, 2012.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I got screwed while roaming in another country when I noticed too late that shared photostreams was sucking up all my data usage.

I was sharing via this setup: uploading my photos from my iPhone to my MacBook via a USB cable. Then after editing them in Aperture, I pick the photos I like and upload them to my shared photostream.

What I didn't know is that these photos would be going BACK to my iPhone via cellular data when updating the iPhone's own photostream. BONED

My personal photostream transmits via wifi only, I don't understand why there's no option to set it likewise for SHARED photostreams without turning it off completely.

Does anyone know if I missed a setting possibly or a workaround to fix this, or is this just how Apple has things set up for now?

2. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I don't see any settings you could use. What I don't understand is why your phone downloaded your photos.

I would talk to Apple. Maybe they'd be willing to pay your carrier for the data use.

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm guessing its due to being able to see and respond to comments on photos, but it seems any shared photo streams are synced across the iCloud, so if I add photos via my MacBook, it's synced on the iPad and iPhone too, only difference is with shared photo streams it can be synced via cellular as well. That's a huge oversight especially since it can't be disabled without deactivating the entire feature.

4. Dave W macrumors newbie

Me Too...

I have had all kinds of problems with PhotoStream not syncing properly since I got my iPhone5 and Apple support have not been able to figure out why it doesn't work.

This week I did the same thing you describe - manually synced with my laptop and added photos to my photoshare (about 40 pictures) while traveling overseas. I had been carefully tracking my data usage and found to my horror that about 50mb of data were suddenly consumed later that same day with no other possible explanation. Unbelievable.

Add this to the stack of complaints on the new phone in terms of not being ready for release...:mad:

5. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll probably contact Apple to complain about not offering a way to disable cellular usage for shared photostreams. I hope it's something they'll address in a future update. :mad:

6. curiosity macrumors regular

So, it's been a while. Did Apple fix this? Or is there any jailbreak app for disabling cellular photo streams?

7. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Settings > Cellular Data > uncheck Photos.

EDIT: I just realized this was in iOS 6 thread. So... I guess not then if you aren't on iOS 7

8. curiosity macrumors regular

On iOS 7, I enabled shared photo streams, they now call it "Photo Sharing", and went to "Settings - Cellular - Use Cellular Data for:". The only option is "Passbooks".