Resolved Stop Siri changing 'My Info'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brookzy, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Brookzy, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Hi,

I'm sure this question must have been asked before, it is very basic...

Myself and another family member are both using iPhone 4Ss, both with the same Apple ID and iCloud account.

Everything is working okay, except from Siri, which keeps changing both of our contact informations, or in other words, keeps them in sync.

So if I change 'My Info' to Joe Bloggs, the same change happens on the other iPhone.

I'd expect this is intended functionality of iCloud, but is there any way to stop it?

Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

3. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Wow, speedy reply!

Can separate iCloud accounts use the same Apple ID?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Dog had to pee :p so I'm up early.

Yes, use the same iTunes account but separate iCloud accounts.

5. Polydactyl macrumors member

I had the same question, but for the most part, we share the same iCloud account for shared calendar, contacts, photostream, etc. so separate accounts aren't necessarily an option.

We do have separate accounts for email, but it's not clear where within iCloud the "My Info" gets sync'd. Is it with the actual account or is it getting synced with Contacts or Documents and Data?

6. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

This was very helpful, thank you. I was under the impression that only one emai/Apple ID or whatever could be used per device; I did not know the iCloud and Apple ID could be separate.

Issue solved.

Thanks everyone for their replies.

7. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

If I use separate iCloud accounts will the contacts and calanders still sync across the two different devices as they do now?

Will find my iPhone locate each others phone as they do now if they are on 2 different iCloud accounts?

8. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

9. mcapanelli macrumors regular

mcapanelli

It's f%^&ing utterly ridiculous that this hasn't been addressed by Apple. Is it really so hard to get siri to use ONLY the contact information you set it to locally? Seriously now, its not rocket science. I really don;t get why my name changes as the apple account holder either. Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve contact gymnastics or multiple apple id's, or is apple going to leave us hanging....again?

10. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

What are you trying to do?

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The iCloud account is supposed to be "you." This is why sharing one over multiple people presents a problem.

You can use individual iCloud accounts but still share calendars in multiple ways -- you can use iCal to 'share' the calendar with other people or you can add your significant other's iCloud account as a second account on the phone (thus sharing calendars, reminders, notes and contacts).

But if you share the same primary iCloud accounts, you run in to trouble with iMessages ending up on both devices, with Siri not know who (or where) you are, etc.

My wife, 3 kids and I share the same App Store ID but have separate iCloud accounts; we can still share calendars and such but each person's devices (phones, iPads, MacBooks) remain individualized.

And with iOS 8's Family Share, it's easier still.

You're not meant to share one single ID for everything across multiple people.

This is by design.

12. mcapanelli macrumors regular

mcapanelli

The problem is its not referring to me but the carrier account holder. I'd understand if it was referring to only myself as the iCloud and apple account holder. All things being equal though it still shouldn't be such an issue for it to use whatever local information you chose to use. If its by design then its a bad design that really serves no practice purpose other than to get as many people to sign up with an apple id as possible.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

In the email/contacts settings, there's a My Info setting which lets you specify who you are, but it syncs via the primary iCloud account and will propagate down to all other devices using the same primary iCloud account.

It has nothing to do with the carrier account holder.