Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
i 10000000% guarantee you can walk into any AT&T store today, ask to get a credit pre-approval, and walk out of there with your approval code if you pass.

do not say that's it lie. if a store tells you otherwise, THEY are lying and go to a different AT&T store. AT&T will require the check in store if (a) you didn't get a pre-approval or (b) aren't an existing customer. Apple will not, they'll rely on the online method used by iTunes.

saying you can get a pre-approval is NOT false information. it happens all the time.

TenaciousPZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY...EVERYONE

At&t is NOT GIVING pre-approval to ANYONE for the iPhone. Anyone who claims other wise is lying.

Need proof? Call At&t right now, you can even call the credit dept directly at 1-800-331-0500 and tell them you want a pre-approval for Friday.

You WILL BE DENIED. Because it doesn't exist.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Er ,, ... don't bite my head off but why are there credit checks if you're buying it? That's right isn't it? It's a thing to buy and not hire? I'm doing my damnedest to ignore this bloody phone but this thread sucked me in.:confused:

Cell service has a credit check, so if you buy an iPhone, at some point there will be a credit check. My understanding of this thread is whether there's a check at the point of sale or when you register on iTunes. I'm not sure what the issue is, either way you need to wait in line to get the phone, it just depends whether you find out if you get to have it before you purchase or get to keep it when you get home.

TenaciousPZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
i 10000000% guarantee you can walk into any AT&T store today, ask to get a credit pre-approval, and walk out of there with your approval code if you pass.

do not say that's it lie. if a store tells you otherwise, THEY are lying and go to a different AT&T store. AT&T will require the check in store if (a) you didn't get a pre-approval or (b) aren't an existing customer. Apple will not, they'll rely on the online method used by iTunes.

saying you can get a pre-approval is NOT false information. it happens all the time.

Sorry but you are talking completely out of your ass. I have called At&t 30 times now, throughout the day and spoke to different people. THERE ARE NO PRE-APPROVALS.

I even have other people calling to do the same thing. NO PRE-APPROVALS.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
right, because they put that approval code box in the activation menu just for the fun of it :rolleyes:

maybe they stopped doing iPhone pre-approvals the rest of the week? but it is 100% fact that AT&T does customer pre-approvals, good for 30-days. trust me.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I didn't call, I just went into the AT&T store below my apartment and they did it. I think you have to go into the store. Because I just did, and totally got my pre-approval code. (the one they're showing the text field for in the iphone activation video)

TenaciousPZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Cell service has a credit check, so if you buy an iPhone, at some point there will be a credit check. My understanding of this thread is whether there's a check at the point of sale or when you register on iTunes. I'm not sure what the issue is, either way you need to wait in line to get the phone, it just depends whether you find out if you get to have it before you purchase or get to keep it when you get home.

Not if you are going to store to buy it, and having someone else sign up for the service when you get back..

Didn't think of that did ya chief?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Sorry but you are talking completely out of your ass. I have called At&t 30 times now, throughout the day and spoke to different people. THERE ARE NO PRE-APPROVALS.

walk into a store right now. maybe they don't do them over the phone. i know for a fact they do pre-approvals. like i said in my last post, maybe they're putting them on hold for this week, but it most certainly is a service they normally offer.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

Dude, they told you to go to the store. Not call them up.

Go to your local AT&T store and apply for credit. They will run your credit and approve or deny you and give you a code if you are approved.

Stop calling the AT&T website and bothering them.

Jesus you don't even read what people are telling you to do.

ps49556n

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007

At&t is NOT GIVING pre-approval to ANYONE for the iPhone. Anyone who claims other wise is lying.

Need proof? Call At&t right now, you can even call the credit dept directly at 1-800-331-0500 and tell them you want a pre-approval for Friday.

So you are saying ATT suddenly changed their policy that credit check remain in record for 30 days???? What is so hard for you to understand?????? Myself and plenty of other people have gotten pre approval that lasts for 30 days, regardless of iphone. When you run more than one credit check in a short period of time, its shows up negatively on a credit report which is why they keep your record for 30 days....why dont you understand this???:p :p :p :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
What is going to happen at Apple & At&t Stores on Friday in terms of CREDIT CHECKS....Will they or Will they NOT require a credit check in store to purchase the phone???????

I have called At&t 30 times now, throughout the day and spoke to different people. THERE ARE NO PRE-APPROVALS.

:rolleyes: Hmm...either you've called AT&T 30 times in the past 30 minutes or you had some information at the start of this thread that you should have shared with us. :rolleyes:

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Not if you are going to store to buy it, and having someone else sign up for the service when you get back..

Not if you're going to buy it and someone else will sign up for the service?

Dude, just spill the beans on what you want to do. You're dancing around this and confusing everyone. Are you trying to get your mom to sign the contract for you or something?

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
Not if you're going to buy it and someone else will sign up for the service?

Dude, just spill the beans on what you want to do. You're dancing around this and confusing everyone. Are you trying to get your mom to sign the contract for you or something?

I think that someone may have hit the nail on the head...

hcopp

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2003
East Lansing, MI
#1 Are you serious? You realize they do it every single day for every single phone that goes out the door? Yea, they do.

#2 The fact that you can run it online makes me think they wouldn't require it in store, since running it twice the same day is a bit of no no.

This is important because if they do run it in store and you don't meet their standards, a $500 purchase suddenly becomes a $1250 purchase.

Does anyone see the significance in that?

i realize they do it for regular customers on a regular basis, but for the iphone launch, they are going to want to make it as efficient as possible.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Anyone here who is not f**king guessing is welcome to respond in this thread.

Will they or Will they NOT require a credit check in store to purchase the phone??????

Does anyone acknowledge how important this is!?

You WILL BE DENIED.

Sorry but you are talking completely out of your ass.

THERE ARE NO PRE-APPROVALS.

NO PRE-APPROVALS.

Breathe.

I think that someone may have hit the nail on the head...
I think so.

Suspended
Jun 11, 2007
As someone suggested, I just called the ATT customer service line. I am currently a subscriber and they let me know that all credit checks are good for 90 days. I have been with ATT for 60 days. He said there will be no problem upon online sign up.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
As someone suggested, I just called the ATT customer service line. I am currently a subscriber and they let me know that all credit checks are good for 90 days. I have been with ATT for 60 days. He said there will be no problem upon online sign up.

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about;)

bluesman87

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
i just called my local corporate store and they said that as they ran my social and my name and that i required no deposit. Good news for sure. I was a little surprised at this, and he also said to come buy some cheap 20 buck nokia and then return it on launch day and the process would be much smoother.:) :apple:

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn

Dude, you started this thread with an attitude and it's only gotten worse. AT&T is not requiring credit checks to purchase an iPhone. They are not financing the iPhone, what they're doing is providing you with cellular service on a contract. Their contracts are all the same no matter which phone you purchase.

You've obviously chosen to ignore these simple facts.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Er ,, ... don't bite my head off but why are there credit checks if you're buying it? That's right isn't it? It's a thing to buy and not hire? I'm doing my damnedest to ignore this bloody phone but this thread sucked me in.:confused:

In the US if you sign a cellular contract you are forced to have a credit check. The phone is something you're purchasing from Apple really, AT&T is just the middleman, but since AT&T wants to make sure you can pay the $60+ a month, they run a check to make sure you pay your bills on time.

Isn't it the same in Europe for contracts? I know they're not as common but I would think they would do this, unless you sign something saying the money will come directly from your bank account.

arcanic

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It clearly states it right here....

CUPERTINO, California and ATLANTA—June 26, 2007—Apple® and AT&T Inc. today announced that iPhone™ users will be able to activate their new iPhones using Apple’s popular iTunes® software running on a PC or Mac® computer in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated. Activating iPhone takes only minutes as iTunes guides the user through simple steps to choose their service plan, authorize their credit and activate their iPhone. Once iPhone is activated, users can then easily sync all of their phone numbers and other contact information, calendars, email accounts, web browser bookmarks, music, photos, podcasts, TV shows and movies just like they do when they sync their iPods with iTunes.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Considering there's a field for entering an ATT confirmation, that seems to indicate there is at least a possibility of a credit check somewhere along the way. Like I said, best bet is to just wait until everyone goes through their training. Or, call an Apple Store and see what they're doing. I'd guess they're not doing credit checks at POS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.