Stop the URL moving in the Safari address box?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Ish, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Is there any way to stop the URL moving in the Safari address box? It always used to be on the left, but in Yosemite it starts there then moves to the centre. This means that if I want to modify it I click the address, it then moves to the left and I have to chase it over there. I've found it a pain ever since upgrading to Yosemite but am surprised to see no mention of it or any other complaints.

2. 0d085d macrumors regular

You can effectively fix this for longer URLs by going into Safari's Preferences, clicking the Advanced tab, and checking the Show full website address box.

You're still stuck with it centering URLs that fit in the address bar though. Have you noticed that you can click anywhere in the address bar to edit it? I'd suggest just clicking on the far left and waiting for the URL to come to you.

3. DanyellJackson, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

DanyellJackson macrumors newbie

DanyellJackson

Isn't it obnoxious!? I'd sure like to get my hands around the neck of the person who designed Safari and Spotlight for Yosemite/El Capitan/Sierra. Absolutely terrible.

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

You guys are aware that that you can click anywhere in the address bar, right? It's the same for Safari for iOS.

5. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Why not just click on the left to begin with? You can click anywhere.

I use Safari daily and it's never occurred to me that this is an issue.

6. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

I'd forgotten I'd written this, August 2015! However, just to add, if you want to change something in the middle of the search query it's easier if it stands still!