Stop these stupid "underpowered" threads

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac.User, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Seriously if you think the Haswell GPU is "underpowered" then how do you think people got by with a much slower older chips in the last generation just fine?

Every time I see a thread say "underpowered" I equate to "I have no idea what I'm talking about."

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I don't think these people know what underpowered is when all they've ever used are dual-core and quad-core processors and GREAT ones at that. Tell ya what, all the complainers get to use my 1998 IBM thinkpad with its glorious Pentium II!

3. Doward macrumors 6502a

I've been working with computers since the 6502 days.

I have to say - computers have not gotten any more or less underpowered.

Whether loading DOS-XL on my old Atari 800XL (1.79Mhz), Windows 3.0 on a 386DX (12Mhz), Windows 95 on a 486DX (75Mhz), Windows 98 on a Pentium (133Mhz w/ Voodoo2 SLI - was my FF7 PC gaming system lmao), NT4.0 on a Pentium Pro (200Mhz), Windows 2000 (Celeron 300A @ 450Mhz), Windows XP (Duron 700Mhz @ 1Ghz) - Man, I had too many iterations of XP on various hardware, so I'm not going through it all.

What was my first Vista system... um... hated Vista so bad I blocked it out. I think it was my first Core Duo system.

Anywho, didn't mean to start this giant list of past systems. Those are just the highlights of moving from one OS up to another, and only in the Windows - my Linux list is actually much longer, lol. Point being, at the end of the day, I can type up reports and check email at the same speed as 15 years ago.

'Underpowered'? I remember when hitting 10 million ops / second was fantastically fast. According to Wiki, we're well over 100 billion instructions per second.

That is unfathomably fast.

4. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

The "underpowered" feeling is because the software is crap and can't handle Retina displays to play nicely with the graphic chips.

It's interesting that all the IGZO and crazy resolution displays/machines that Google/Microsoft supplies, don't have all these problems with the same hardware (pretty much).