Stop Thinking FaceID Is Simply A Replacement For TouchID

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
I've seen too many people complaining about FaceID being inferior to TouchID and it made "no sense" to remove a technology that was great for a technology that is only just as good or even slightly worse/slower.

Let me remind everyone that FaceID is just ONE function of the new camera and 3D sensing module. Apple sees this technology as the future and there are MANY other applications Apple/Developers can implement with 3D sensing and facial recognition.

So stop thinking of this entire notch area being all about FaceID. It's not. It won't be. You already can do silly things like animated emojis and I guarantee Apple has a lot more to come from this technology.

Try to think outside the box. This technology wasn't only about replacing TouchID. It was about AR and all the things that come with facial recognition.

For those of you saying they should have included both...it's just not something they are going to do when the FaceID tech is so much more secure and more versatile than TouchID which literally can only authenticate your phone.

FaceID can and will do MUCH MORE.

So please, stop comparing them like it was 1 for 1.

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Nice try, of course it's a replacement for TouchID. They failed to implement a fingerprint reader into the display, Steve jobs would roll in his grave if he saw that notch..

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Nice try, of course it's a replacement for TouchID. They failed to implement a fingerprint reader into the display, Steve jobs would roll in his grave if he saw that notch..
Unless you're just a conspiracy theorist, Apple has stated FaceID was always the solution they wanted from design. I believe them because if it's this good already, it's only going to get better...just like TouchID was markedly better than the original. FaceID gives them many new options for AR and facial recognition.

You're wrong. It's NOT simply a replacement for TouchID. Even on ship date, the technology is being used for Animated Emojis, which is an additional feature beyond simply unlocking the phone and validating ApplePay. This means it's already more versatile than TouchID. Say what you want bout animated emojis, but it's showing you there is much more in store.

Think bigger.
[doublepost=1509475196][/doublepost]
Apple wishes every customer felt the same way as you do about Face-ID.
They do. You see the stock? iPhone X is an incredible hit thus far. It's still early, but early reviews are mostly positive and it's absolutely selling like hot cakes. It's also the most discussed product in the world right now.

snatefinch

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
I am sick of people sticking to this story. Do you really think that Face ID was a last ditch effort once they realized they couldn't get the Touch ID under the screen?

You obviously do not work in the IT field at all, especially software/hardware development. I am a software developer myself, and I can assure you, tech like this was years in the making.

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
I am sick of people sticking to this story. Do you really think that Face ID was a last ditch effort once they realized they couldn't get the Touch ID under the screen?

You obviously do not work in the IT field at all, especially software/hardware development. I am a software developer myself, and I can assure you, tech like this was years in the making.
This!!

You don’t “fall back” on this kind of technology. Unless you believe Apple originally planned BOTH FaceID and TouchID, you have to understand FaceID was always the plan.

You folks realize Apple works with suppliers 2years in advance to design parts for the future phones? I bet FaceID started 5 years ago.

Harthag

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Face ID tech may well have been years in the making, but that still doesn't mean Apple preferred it over Touch ID and meant to totally replace it in 2017. They could not perfect Touch ID under the screen in time for launch and chose to go all in with Face ID, is my opinion, but I'm just a layman. Why would anyone inside Apple EVER admit to the press, that for the 10th anniversary iPhone, Apple made a mistake or couldn't achieve what it wanted with Touch ID? Of course they are going to tell the whole world that Face ID was always the plan.

And then in 2018 Apple will "revolutionize" the home button and place it underneath the screen. Enter the iPhone 11.

I am picking up my 10 on Friday, hopefully I will learn to appreciate Face ID. Happy to be a beta tester. :)

snatefinch

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Face ID tech may well have been years in the making, but that still doesn't mean Apple preferred it over Touch ID and meant to totally replace it in 2017. They could not perfect Touch ID under the screen in time for launch and chose to go all in with Face ID, is my opinion, but I'm just a layman. Why would anyone inside Apple EVER admit to the press, that for the 10th anniversary iPhone, Apple made a mistake or couldn't achieve what it wanted with Touch ID? Of course they are going to tell the whole world that Face ID was always the plan.

And then in 2018 Apple will "revolutionize" the home button and place it underneath the screen. Enter the iPhone 11.

I am picking up my 10 on Friday, hopefully I will learn to appreciate Face ID. Happy to be a beta tester. :)
I think Touch ID is gone for good. They are not going to put it under the screen now that they have Face ID. Why do you need two ways of unlocking your phone?

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
What gets me is the amount of complaining when this technology is simply brilliant, I don’t know if you have seen this article but it is very interesting, the lady explains how she has tried to fool Face ID and it’s very impressive, she tried with a photo it doesn’t fool it (unlike other devices) she even goes as far as to get a mask of her own face made and that still doesn’t fool it.

Apple have come up with something that is very impressive and far beats the competition, while Samsung and other phones may have had a similar feature it is no where near as advanced as Face ID.

Link to the article I mentioned https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/iphone-x-how-we-tested-and-tricked-faceid-1509465766

Reactions: eagleglen

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
What gets me is the amount of complaining when this technology is simply brilliant, I don’t know if you have seen this article but it is very interesting, the lady explains how she has tried to fool Face ID and it’s very impressive, she tried with a photo it doesn’t fool it (unlike other devices) she even goes as far as to get a mask of her own face made and that still doesn’t fool it.

Apple have come up with something that is very impressive and far beats the competition, while Samsung and other phones may have had a similar feature it is no where near as advanced as Face ID.

Link to the article I mentioned https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/iphone-x-how-we-tested-and-tricked-faceid-1509465766
There is even a video out there where twins can't fool it.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Exactly tech like this can’t be put together in a matter of months