Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonmet

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
So I get that Apple is trying to make Apple TV+ look popular by giving away a year’s subscription with every new Mac or device purchase; and they’re advertising it prominently in the Settings app. But can they just give up already?
  1. I pressed decline on the offer. It didn’t get rid of the ad.
  2. I reluctantly accepted to get rid of the ad. That didn’t work either.
  3. My device is now past the 90 days since activation that the ad tells me I have to redeem the offer, yet the ad remains!
Seriously Apple, just give up already! Putting ads in system software (the Start Menu par example) is something Microsoft is known for! I thought you were better than that!

Sadly, this is the first of a bunch of similar posts were Apple seems to be adopting/copying Microsoft tactics, even when Microsoft has started to backtrack a little.

First world problem? Absolutely! So what? I have high standards and expectations not to be marketed to when I pay a premium price for Apple products, and it’s one of the key factors that has kept me in the platform.

I have significant concerns about multiple privacy problems too, but I’ll save that for other posts.

Attachments

• A6302544-A552-482C-A493-5DED60654B3B.png
    A6302544-A552-482C-A493-5DED60654B3B.png
    796.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Lodesman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
Folkestone, Kent, UK
I succumbed to the free subscription to Apple TV+ for a year after buying a new iPad and have looked at it to see what is on offer.
Nothing of interest to me, nothing at all. Most of the stuff has to be bought and the free stuff, such as it is, is rubbish.
I'll delete it when getting close to the end of the free period if it does not improve.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I succumbed to the free subscription to Apple TV+ for a year after buying a new iPad and have looked at it to see what is on offer.
Nothing of interest to me, nothing at all. Most of the stuff has to be bought and the free stuff, such as it is, is rubbish.
I'll delete it when getting close to the end of the free period if it does not improve.
That's the other annoying thing about the trial. Most things will keep going until the end and then you just don't renew, but Apple pulls the garbage where you lost it instantly so you forget to cancel in time and get renewed.

Reactions: simonmet

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
It stops at some point. It bugged the hell out of me as well, and it kept coming on various devices over and over again. And I kept ignoring it on various devices over and over again until some day it just went away.

Haven't seen those obnoxious pushy solicitations in a while now.

Reactions: simonmet

simonmet

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
It stops at some point. It bugged the hell out of me as well, and it kept coming on various devices over and over again. And I kept ignoring it on various devices over and over again until some day it just went away.

Haven't seen those obnoxious pushy solicitations in a while now.

Thanks. Glad I’m not the only one frustrated by this.

Sadly, Apple made the change to let apps push ads in Notifications as well, which is very disappointing. I’ll certainly abandon any application that abuses it; or disable its notification privileges.

Apple under Tim Cook seems to want to increasingly degrade the standards and principles that attracted many of us to the brand. For profit of course. That’s all he cares about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.