Stop using iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stocks, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Stocks macrumors member

I only used iTunes to update and backup my iPhone and iPad, I don't really have much music of any videos so I never used the program for anything else.

I have automatic backups go directly to the iDevices now and I just set up the iCloud to back them up, so I don't need iTunes anymore.

I was wondering how I could clean out all of the old iPhone and iPad backups to free space on my hard drive and to stop iTunes from trying to sync with the iDevices when I connect them for iPhoto downloading. I believe I could deauthorize the computer completely thru iTunes, but I want to be sure that it won't effect anything else.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you don't care about ever syncing to your Mac, sure you can just delete the backups and not sync any more. If you open iTunes then command-comma to get to preferences, then look in the devices tab you will see all the iOS backups and you can just delete them from there to clear them off your drive.

3. Stocks thread starter macrumors member

And then I could just not open iTunes anymore, right?

A little part of me (compelled by my OCD) likes things to be completely clean. Is there a way to take my devices off of iTunes and deauthorize it without any other issue?

I just looked at some settings in iTunes and if I uncheck "Sync Music" it warns me that it is going to delete the music from my iPhone. That's what I am worried about.

When I look in the iTunes folder I see all the Apps and stuff there too. I'd like that clean if possible.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can just remove the backups like I explained. You can reauthorize everything if you want and also delete the copy of the iOS stored locally, but like the warnings are telling you, it will cause problems if you ever sync to iTunes again. But if you are sure you never want to do that, have at it and delete things.

5. Stocks thread starter macrumors member

So I did as you said and just deleted the backups. The iTunes folder is still taking up over 7GB. I guess I can't do anything about that without possible issues.

I may be selling this Mac anyway. If I get a new Mac then I could simply never associate my iPhone and iPad with iTunes? I assume I will still be able to use iPhoto though?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure, you can use iPhoto without using iTunes at all. Apple is actually setting things up more and more so you can have an iOS device and not even own a computer and everything works fine. So you don't need iTunes at all if you don't want to sync or backup to the computer.

7. Stocks thread starter macrumors member

Gotcha. And I like the way they are going, that's why I switched to the iCloud backup and see no more reason to use iTunes at all.