Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seabass069

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Please can we all stop whinning about how disappointing the new Macmini is. The Macmini is about getting windows users to switch over to Mac. Most people have never even used a Mac. People see the Macmini is an inexpensive way to learn Mac and then they can decide if they really want to upgrade to a better Mac. Mac's aren't cheap and is a big investment. I was that way. I bought a Macmini at Best Buy and six months later I was ready for a more powerful Mac. I couldn't see the reason of spending a couple thousand dollars for a computer that I had never used before and was unsure if I would like it or not.

The Macmini is a great computer to learn from. Most people are not gamers or music/video composers. They like to surf the net, listen to music and take photos. People are getting more and more interested in Macs, because of the iPod. The Macmini gives the consumer an inexpensive way to learn what a real personal computer is. The Mac, IT JUST WORKS!!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
but one problem is that it's not that inexpensive. $600 for the base model + tax, + RAM upgrade (because a core solo with 512 RAM and rosetta is going to be absolutely painful and isn't going to convince anyone that macs are much fun), and we're in the $750 range. That's not expensive, but it's not cheap if you're trying to lure switchers with this machine.

Aramis

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
East Coast
New Mac user...

seabass069 said:
The Macmini gives the consumer an inexpensive way to learn what a real personal computer is.

I agree with the majority of your post with the exception of the above. I am a new Mac user (very new). A $499 system gives you a rather inexpensive "taste" of the Mac world. But a $599 system is a rather expensive introduction - imo.

I made my first visit to an Apple store about 2 weeks ago, and was impressed with the $499 Macmini. Theres something about the sub $500 pricepoint that makes it just seem worth the money and a great value. I cannot say the same @ $600. Yes - $100 does make an impact, be it more mental for me than anything, an impact nonetheless.

Not whining, simply sharing an experience.

XNine

macrumors 68040
600 bucks isn't ****. Sorry, but it's not. Even 800 bucks is cheap. Compare any Dell machine with software, anti-virus updates, and time lost due to windows, and that 800 bucks is a Good 2 grand cheaper.

The OP is right. If you don't like it, wait for the new Powermac. If that's too "expensive," why even bother owning a Mac?

Had I bought a dell almost 4 years ago, I would have needed another machine 2 years later. I'm still using it for Photoshop CS 2.

achie25

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2005
Onizuka said:
600 bucks isn't ****. Sorry, but it's not. Even 800 bucks is cheap. Compare any Dell machine with software, anti-virus updates, and time lost due to windows, and that 800 bucks is a Good 2 grand cheaper.

The OP is right. If you don't like it, wait for the new Powermac. If that's too "expensive," why even bother owning a Mac?

Had I bought a dell almost 4 years ago, I would have needed another machine 2 years later. I'm still using it for Photoshop CS 2.

Yeah but PC switchers aren't going to factor in the anti-virus costs because to them that is just part of owning a computer.
They are going to look at the base price. It is hard to talk to PC users about sswitching to a MAC when they look at the cost and then see that they can get an awful lot of a windows machine for the same cost.

Once they weigh in all the other factors is when it truly comes down to making the switch. When I bought my $2000+ PB it took a lot of rationalizing on my part before I did it. No regrets however.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Onizuka said:

well, you could always go for an iMac or an iBook, and get in the game for less than a PowerMac. I too am working on a four year old plus PowerMac (if I read your post right) and I would have had to upgrade a few times with any other variety of computer. Anyway, I still think its too much for a mini, but I agree with the overall sentiments of your post.:)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Onizuka said:

The problem is people aren't going to do those comparisons. They're going to buy what's cheapest.

I was recently helping someone on a *very* tight budget shop for a new computer (they had a keyboard and mouse). They ended up with a dell for about $600 that included a 17" flatscreen (replacing a very old CRT).

I'm not saying it was a good decision. I'm not saying the dell is a better deal. But it's the reality of how a lot of people buy computers.

What I am saying is that the OP wants us to view the mini as a switcher machine. A lot of potential switchers and other average buyers are going to go for a much cheaper PC option than the mac mini. I don't have a problem with macs being more expensive. But if you're going to make the case that the mini is a switcher machine then you need to price it competitively with what the PC makers are offering. And I don't mean "priced competitvely once you add comparable software to the PC" because a lot of average buyers aren't going to do that.

Aramis

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
East Coast
Onizuka said:

You are speaking like a true Mac experienced user - and that a great thing, but most of us "switchers" are not and thats what the OP referenced. We do not take into account anti-virus updates and time lost due to Windows - come on now. This has been our way of life for years - we dont know any better. As the previous poster mentioned, it base price to base price. Base "power" to base "power" (Ghz as we understand it in the PC world).

...and the bottom line is that cheap is relative. If you have the money, its not ****. If you dont, then you try to get everything you can for what you have - bottom line.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
QCassidy352 said:
A lot of potential switchers and other average buyers are going to go for a much cheaper PC option than the mac mini.
Agreed.

I think the mini is a great little system. I might buy one. I think Mac users will like it. But... yes, it is a bit expensive for the casual switcher. On the other hand, I don't want Apple to make something half as expensive, ten times as large, and ugly just to draw in the switcher crowd.

BMW and Porsche make great cars. They even make some decent non-extravagently priced one. But they'll never hook the Hyundai buyers with competitively priced offerings. And Apple won't get bargain-basement buyers. Such is life.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
seabass069 said:
The Macmini gives the consumer an inexpensive way to learn what a real personal computer is.

The Mac Mini is an "inexpensive, real computer" ?

Considering a system with a dual-core AMD, geforce graphics card, and at least 1gb of ram can be purchased for the same price (likely even lower), I can only assume you're kidding.

thegreatunknown

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
the whining should cease. look at what Apple just did. they created an entertainment hub which wirelessly streams music and videos from other computers. I don't know about anybody else but I've been waiting for somebody to do this right. Does the resolution look right on a tv? probably not for you HD nuts but my iMac looks fine hooked to my tv right now. and geez this thing even comes with 5.1 stereo output. this isn't a gaming computer or a computer for the programmers... its for entertainment.

granted I don't have $600 to spend for this right now since my iMac fills my needs but in future generations of this thing... it could get quite amazing.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
thegreatunknown said:
the whining should cease. look at what Apple just did. they created an entertainment hub which wirelessly streams music and videos from other computers. I don't know about anybody else but I've been waiting for somebody to do this right. Does the resolution look right on a tv? probably not for you HD nuts but my iMac looks fine hooked to my tv right now. and geez this thing even comes with 5.1 stereo output. this isn't a gaming computer or a computer for the programmers... its for entertainment.

granted I don't have $600 to spend for this right now since my iMac fills my needs but in future generations of this thing... it could get quite amazing.

so which one is it? Is the Mini a switcher machine or a media center hub? You have clear lines with all the other systems. Powermac=pro, imac=all in one consumer. The mini can't be a switcher computer and a Digital Media Hub. Especially without a damn keyboard and mouse!

seabass069

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
It's both. If you are an experienced Mac user, it will probably be an entertainment hub. If you are a windows user, it's a switcher.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
jsw said:
Agreed.

I think the mini is a great little system. I might buy one. I think Mac users will like it. But... yes, it is a bit expensive for the casual switcher. On the other hand, I don't want Apple to make something half as expensive, ten times as large, and ugly just to draw in the switcher crowd.

Oh, I agree entirely. I'm just making the case that the OP's point (that we shouldn't complain because this is a switcher machine) isn't on target.

I don't think this is a switcher machine because it's too expensive, but I have no problem with that. I like Apple having a small but highly profitable market, like Porsche does.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I don't have a problem with the specs; more the price point.

When the Mac mini was first introduced just over a year ago, the entry level model was £339 in the UK. Today the entry level model is £449 - that's a 33% price increase!

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
dietcokevanilla said:
I don't have a problem with the specs; more the price point.

When the Mac mini was first introduced just over a year ago, the entry level model was £339 in the UK. Today the entry level model is £449 - that's a 33% price increase!

Look at what the entry level Mini has now compared to what it had before.

1.5g Core Solo 667mhz BUS 2MB L2 - 1.25 G4 167mhz BUS 512k L2
512mb RAM 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) - 256mb RAM slower too.
Gigabit Ethernet - Standard ethernet
4 USB 2.0 ports - 2 USB 2.0 ports
Digital audio in/out - N/A
60Gb 5400 rpm drive - 40gb 4200 drive
Airport Extreme - N/A
Bluetooth EDR - N/A
Intel GMA950 graphics processor - ATI 9200 32MB
Front Row - N/A
Remote - N/A
iLife 06 - iLife 05

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I personally think the intel mini is a pretty souped up machine for such a small package.
I mean getting a machine that's useable for graphics (ignoring the universal binary for a second) for less than $1,000 is a pretty decent score.
Core-Dua chip and a decent front side bus speed, yeah the integrated graphics arean't great, but they are workable with.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
MacSA said:

you make a good point, but again, if we're to take the OP's argument that this is a "switcher machine" at face value, then the price increase is not justified by these improvements.

If the point is to introduce people to OS X and get them hooked on macs, then the mini should remain at $500, or be even cheaper, if possible. A true "switcher machine" could definitely sacrifice some of the features of the mini to reduce cost.

Also, the original mini is now 13 months old. I think we should darn well expect some substantial improvements in that time, even without the price going up.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
if that's too "expensive," why even bother owning a Mac?

Some people shouldn't be allowed to own a Mac.

Considering a system with a dual-core AMD, geforce graphics card, and at least 1gb of ram can be purchased for the same price (likely even lower), I can only assume you're kidding.

There in lays the problem with PC users. All they see is hardware cost, they don't relate to the intangibles such as the OS, the software, the joy of computing without hassles. I know from talking to PC users, they all mention cost first. To me the cost is nothing compared to experience of a Mac. I might even buy one, for use in my family room, my wife wants a computer now. For what she does, email, internet, view photos its perfect.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Dane D. said:
Some people shouldn't be allowed to own a Mac.
And what would justify such a remark?
Dane D. said:
There in lays the problem with PC users. All they see is hardware cost, they don't relate to the intangibles such as the OS, the software, the joy of computing without hassles.

That's the problem with Mac users. They don't mind paying arm and leg for shiny buttons and window shadows on a crippled machine.

Windows and OS X cost the same, in many instances OS X is more expensive.

Besides, since when are all non-Mac users Windows users? A powerful machine appeals to Linux/Unix and users of other OS's as well.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
MacSA said:
None of that changes the fact that people who are just curious will be put off by an increased price point, and that is the point here.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
MacSA said:

I'm not disagreeing with the specs... obviously the specs are better now, but it's a year on from the original mini anyway. You could also argue that the specs of the MacBook Pro are superior to the Rev D 15" PowerBook specs (Jan '05), or the new Intel iMac is better than the old iMac... however, the prices of the other Intel machines have only gone up by 2 or 3% in the UK, not 33%.

cait-sith

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
canada
what percent of users actually need performance exceeding the mini? graphic artists, movie editors, etc.. they'll likely be using top-end hardware they didn't pay for or paid for with their earnings from using it.

the majority of processor cycles are wasted on the average joe's computer. why's everyone bitching about the consumer-level gpu on a consumer-level desktop?

why bother buying a car under 50,000$? they can't even go 250km/h!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.