Stop window "clustering" in mission control...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iansilv, Sep 14, 2011.

1. iansilv macrumors 65816

This is very rust rating, but please forgive me if this has been discussed and resolved- I could not find the solution searching. When I jump in to mission control, I cannot see the documents I have opened in word- I typically have several ones open, and I have to click through them to find the right one. I really liked just sliding my mouse to the bottom left to show all open windows like in Expose for Snow Leopard- how do I get that back?
    Thank you.

2. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

As far as I know, you can't get it back.

However, if you move your cursor over word's icon in the dock and double tap on the top of your mouse with two fingers (I'm assuming you have a magic mouse) - it'll fan out all the windows just like good old exposé.

3. r00li macrumors member

I was thinking about switching to Lion from SL but after seeing it in action, I think I will stay with SL for now. WHY THE ******* DID THEY REMOVE THE ALL WINDOWS OPTION FROM EXPOSE/MISSION CONTROL?

I can live with all the other changes, but I can't live without this one. This is the only option that I can't live without. Proabably it is the most useful feature I have ever seen in an OS and it is just crap that it is gone. I use it all the time. I use it when I have two or 50 windows open. I press a button on my mouse (no I don't use magic mouse), all the windows show up, point to the windows I want and press the same button again - and that is it. I never needed to use spaces because this feature does everything I need. It works with multi monitor setup and is scalable to practicaly any number of windows/applications.

I hope that someone figures out how to bring this feature back or that Apple give as an option where we can select how this feature works. But I don't think that anything will happen. There is no API for mission control/expose so not much can be done by an outside developer and apple doesn't listen to users so I don't think that I can expect this feature back before new Mac OS - if ever. But for now I can stay on SL where everything that I need works perfectly (well the VNC server doesn't - but that is another story :D ).

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If you have a touchpad (macbook or magic trackpad) 3-finger swipe down and it will tile all the open instances of that app. If you are using something like numbers it will also show recent docs as thumbnails at the bottom. Also, a side tip...if you don't have an app open like numbers and click on the icon in the dock after 3 finger swiping down you will see recent docs thumbnails at the bottom to select them before you even open the app.

5. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    I'll join the rant..

Since this is the only reason I bothered posting in the forums for the first time in quite a while (sorry, I'm more of a reader ....)... I really, really, really want to know why they won't give expose back. I don't care if they want me to use mission control... I'm more likely to use that if I get tired of expose. But here's the thing. IT ISN'T THE SAME TOOL. I've got so many clicks that have been added to my work flow ... and so many corner drags only to find I have to go back and click somewhere else or command tab or open up mission control and realize how much I miss expose... It's ridiculous. I really hope someone can just make a decision and bring it back by 10.7.2. Honestly, I thought it'd be back by 10.7.1, but I guess they're stubborn. Nothing new ...

6. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess I would like the option in Mission Control tone able to click on an app cluster and have those windows spring out like expose. That would be a nice compromise. I just loved regular expose...

7. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I kind of like the clustering in Mission Control, but if it's anything more than 3 windows per app, the whole thing is useless. I wish it would expand the windows in a cluster with a simply zoom multi-touch gesture. Also, it's annoying that it doesn't show minimized windows.

8. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    Well, I really wouldn't care that much about the clustering either ... except they also removed the space to preview and using arrow keys to go between different previews .. so.... that makes clustering really useless for me.

9. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

A simple button in system preferences to turn grouping OFF would alleviate all this.

But we all know how uncomfortable apple is with the word CHOICE.