Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
This topic is tirelessly argued.

NO - an iPad cannot preform all of the functions of a MacBook Pro

But the price point reflects that!! iPads are only $329! Have been for a year.

Why do we keep comparing that to a MacBook/Pro/Air that cost a minimum of twice that amount? Tell me what laptop you can buy for $329 that you'd rather own than an iPad. IMO there are none.

If someone said, "Hey I'll give you a free chromebook, or a free iPad" you're taking the iPad every single time.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
We debate because there are laptop products that around $1200 but can do way more than iPad. Don’t forget iPad also has $1200 level products on sale. We don’t expect a $329 iPad do everything a $300 laptop can do.
The main point is the entire bragging from Tim Cook saying iPad can REPLACE computer for many people.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
We debate because there are laptop products that around $1200 but can do way more than iPad. Don’t forget iPad also has $1200 level products on sale. We don’t expect a $329 iPad do everything a $300 laptop can do.
The main point is the entire bragging from Tim Cook saying iPad can REPLACE computer for many people.

Its not bragging just a simple fact.

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Huh? You lost me. If I paid $1200 for a laptop, id expect it to outperform a $329 iPad.

Im arguing that for the cost of an iPad - being only $329 - it's silly to compare it to a laptop, which typically costs a lot more.
[doublepost=1522300613][/doublepost]It's debatable how much an iPad can truly replace a laptop. It cannot outright replace a laptop IMO.

Most would agree that an iPad can do somewhere between 80-90% of what a laptop can do.

Again, my argument is FOR THE PRICE OF $329, why do people even argue it? It's half the price of a decent laptop and do 90% of what a laptop does.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
I think if your going to compare a 329 dollar Ipad against a 1200 laptop that isn't reasonable. It’s like comparing a laptop to a desktop only looking at price, two different animals. At the end of the day who cares? If a person can use a $329.00 Ipad for their laptop needs is something taken from you? I personally have a IPP 2nd gen 12.9 and a IPP 9.7 and they cannot completely replace my MBA. Does that make them a lesser product? No, my IPP is easier to edit photos, my MBA destroys the IPP in mid level excel operations. Then again, its a personal preference that will never be answered in a forum. The other obvious point, would Apple want an Ipad for 329.00 to replace their MBA and MBP? Wouldn't that be seriously detrimental to their business?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Its not bragging just a simple fact.
Yes, iPad can replace laptop to a degree. But not fully replace laptop.
[doublepost=1522305391][/doublepost]
Huh? You lost me. If I paid $1200 for a laptop, id expect it to outperform a $329 iPad.

Im arguing that for the cost of an iPad - being only $329 - it's silly to compare it to a laptop, which typically costs a lot more.
[doublepost=1522300613][/doublepost]It's debatable how much an iPad can truly replace a laptop. It cannot outright replace a laptop IMO.

Most would agree that an iPad can do somewhere between 80-90% of what a laptop can do.

Again, my argument is FOR THE PRICE OF $329, why do people even argue it? It's half the price of a decent laptop and do 90% of what a laptop does.
Even for your price point, a $329 laptop can still do way more than an iPad would do. It’s the speed and experience that differentiate iPad and that laptop. iPad might do the same thing much faster than $329 laptop.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I have a $1229+ iPad and I don't expect it to outperform my $799 Windows laptop. For me, it doesn't matter because they have different uses. There are some things the laptop does better (or the laptop just does period and the iPad simply cannot) while there are other things which the iPad is more suited for or is more enjoyable to use.

MacBooks aren't the only laptops available, you know. Particularly in the context of schools with budget limitations and need for easy IT management, there are less expensive alternatives especially with bulk discounts. I expect the education keynote is part of the reason the iPad vs laptop debate has been refueled.

Reactions: kazmac

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Why do we keep comparing that to a MacBook/Pro/Air that cost a minimum of twice that amount? Tell me what laptop you can buy for $329 that you'd rather own than an iPad. IMO there are none.

If someone said, "Hey I'll give you a free chromebook, or a free iPad" you're taking the iPad every single time.
It depends on the user and what they need/want out of a device. For some an iPad can replace a laptop if their needs include basic things such as typing documents, web browsing, gaming, email etc.

However the price comparison doesn’t really work as I paid £700 for my MacBook Air and I paid £709 for my 10.5 inch iPad Pro and that’s without taking into account the extra that I paid for the pencil and Smart Keyboard. However my MacBook Air can do a lot more regardless of whether I actually need the added features.

A cheap windows laptop which costs less than the entry level iPad can do more than the entry level iPad but that’s besides the point because it all comes down to the individual user and what device suits their needs.

Last edited:

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
I have a $1229+ iPad and I don't expect it to outperform my $799 Windows laptop. For me, it doesn't matter because they have different uses. There are some things the laptop does better (or the laptop just does period and the iPad simply cannot) while there are other things which the iPad is more suited for or is more enjoyable to use.

MacBooks aren't the only laptops available, you know. Particularly in the context of schools with budget limitations and need for easy IT management, there are less expensive alternatives especially with bulk discounts. I expect the education keynote is part of the reason the iPad vs laptop debate has been refueled.
I see your point. But to clarify, you mean you have a $1229 iPad PRO. IMO it’s completely fair to debate the iPad Pro vs. laptop comparisons - because of its price tag. For the price of an iPad Pro (which I own both the 12.9 and the 10.5) you can buy a MacBook Pro - or other high end laptop of your choice.
But again I’m referring to the standard entry level iPad - the top sold iPad/tablet. A product sold at $329 should be compared to other products in that price range. I just see thread after thread of people comparing it to their MacBook Pro and it’s just silly - given that theyre priced accoridingly.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
For the money spent, you will not get better performance than an iPad, no matter which version. For example, my $800 iPad Pro 10.5 has benchmark performance speeds and graphics similar to that of a $3k+ MacBook Pro.

That said, there are software limitations on what an iPad can do. So it all depends on what tasks one uses their computer for. If the tasks you do most often are ones that can be done efficiently on an iPad, then an iPad would be the best deal for you. If you require more sophisticated tasks that need a full desktop OS, then get a laptop.

For me, I use my iPad Pro as my main computer. It cost me $800, and compared to the base model MacBook Air I could get for $800, or even compared to a $1300 base model MacBook Pro, my iPad Pro will have much better performance. I have found that I rarely have computing needs that cannot be done on my iPad, and for those occasional tasks that I need to do, I have friends and family who have regular computers that I can use on those occasions.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

The argument persists largely because Apple themselves claim that an iPad can replace or even out perform a laptop. Also, most of the time this argument is made referring to the iPad Pro, which is in fact priced comparably to many laptops, especially if you add a keyboard.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And yet you initiatiated the debate you wish not to enage in :rolleyes:

For many people the iPad can and does replace the laptop and the discussion if a valid one. Just because your usage means the iPad cannot replace a laptop, doesn't mean it cannot for everyone. Everyone is different and its myopic to project your usage requirements on others.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

^ THIS

Apple’s insistence on the iPad being a replacement certainly fuels the fire; and while many successfully use an iPad in lieu of a laptop, many others do not. I am in the latter camp. My iPP is used for reading and marking up PDFs and watching school related videos. Otherwise, I draw or consume entertainment on it. I suspect the new 9.7 iPad would allow me to do all these things too, but my iMac and W10 $650 to do most of the heavy lifting.

AutisticGuy

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018

Wow, it looks like somebody started the good ole iPad vs. Laptop argument! I use an iPad exclusively for everything I need and it does quite well. For me an iPad is a laptop replacement. Your mileage may vary because everybody has different needs.

Thanks again for renewing the iPad vs. Laptop topic, it's one of my faves.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks, but doesn’t change the fact that most people will never need it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to defend Apple. I can’t see myself ever not having a “real computer”. iOS devices are supplemental to me.
I'm not making any claim that its needed or not, just providing details of what it is, since you asked :)

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009

That's not what school districts are buying in bulk - the Chromebook is eating Apple's lunch. Apple has flunked out of the classroom...

https://www.macworld.com/article/32...l-cant-best-chromebooks-in-the-classroom.html

And I've kept saying this - Apple just needs to give up forcing the Pencil on everyone... just add Bluetooth mouse support and let apps decide if they want to include mouse support. Until they do this and start taking their Chromebook competition seriously, they'll continue to lose out (big time!) on sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.