Stopped Underlining Misspelled Words

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dermottfxryan, Mar 22, 2010.

1. dermottfxryan macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I my "add to dictionary" was not working on MS Word so I looked on a forum and saw that if i go to Preferences>Spelling and Grammar then choose Dictionaries and select custom dictionary it will let me add. When I did this however, MS Word, Safari, and every program stopped underlining misspelled words (and I use this feature a lot). I tried to fix this by deleting the custom dictionary in the same spot that I accessed it along with a few other things but nothing seemed to work.

Any insight into how to fix this?

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've had a very similar problem. I think I reinstalled the OS to fix it, but that's a bit drastic. Anyway... what you want to do is make a copy of the dictionary you want to use as your base, and add your custom words to that. Works like a charm.

3. dermottfxryan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,
    I'll try that and let you know how it goes. The weird thing about this though is that I had another MS Word document open when I was changing the dictionary preferences and stuff, and when I type on that it underlines the misspelled words and stuff perfectly. So I thought I might have only changed that unique document; I opened a new MS Word after closing the messed up one, and the new one underlines words fine, but when I opened the corrupted one it still doesn't work.

Now I wouldn't have cared about that one document but Safari still doesn't underline misspelled words.

Just as I was typing that line, ^ Safari started underlining the words I didn't spell right so I guess its working again.

Thats just weird though.

Thanks for the help