Stopping a hurricane with a Thermonuclear detonation?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carbonmotion, Apr 30, 2009.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

As I was flying back to the States from Hong Kong today, a interesting thought experiment occurred to me. Can you stop a hurricane by detonating a 10MT warhead in its path? Will the shock wave blow out the hurricane? I am not advocating this method for stopping hurricanes, but its a intriguing thought. Anyone studying physics wanna satisfy my curiosity?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Good question, but they are still to "dirty" to try. A neutron bomb might be fun. :p

Even more interesting, to me, is what would happen if you detonated one inside the eye?? :eek:

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It might work. Although Hurricane's and weather systems carry far more energy with them than a measly nuclear bomb (I'll look it up in a second). And lets not forget that hurricanes are hundreds of kilometres across, a nuke middle would probably only disrupt it momentarily before the momentum of the rest of the system would bring it right up to speed.

Btw: neutron bombs aren't explosive (right?).

But we can always do it for fun :D

EDIT: yeah, this site pretty much sums it up.
    Why don't we try to destroy tropical cyclones by nuking them?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I believe if everyone pointed electric fans towards a storm they could change its path, but that causes another problem of using up so much electricity and further (power source depending) problems with global warming and MORE hurricanes!

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

A) too dirty

B) nowhere near powerful enough, you could just add more energy to the storm and make it worse

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

The question is should weather modification techniques even be used?

My answer is a big "hell no".

Hurricanes serve a crucial role in the transport of heat and moisture poleward. The effects of simply destroying every hurricane that appeared would most certainly have dire consequences.

I also know of people researching ways to destroy tornadoes. Again, they serve a big role in our atmosphere and shouldn't be messed with.

The fact is that weather is nothing more than the Earth trying to reach an equilibrium. Unfortunately, we as humans are so arrogant to try and change everything that inconveniences us.

On the fun side however, it would be pretty cool to see it tried. Boom goes the dynamite.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Dude, whatever you're smokin', please pass it to me. ;)

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Which brings this to mind. I remember seeing it, live on the CBC, when it was touched off.

They had to tunnel from the main-land, under the water, and up the "mountain", to set the charges. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BvlN80CxXo

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Lol. Interesting. I wonder if they could use the nuke model with the weather model.

Sounds like this, scne from Har0ld&Kumar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42M-_GJvpGM

=)

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, and I agree completely. We don't need to be screwing around with the weather.

11. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

We're human. We need to screw around w/ everything!

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Fixed.:p

Isn't playing with the weather just another way to play God. We have weather for a reason, I don't think we should be messing with it at all.

13. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

.....as in removing those unsightly mobile homes from our field of vision.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You'd likely create a bunch of water vapor in the air for the hurricane to feed on. This cloud cover might change weather patterns for awhile.

Don't know what the sea-based bomb tests would make of this, since we didn't have the computers and data available to see what effect this had on weather.

---

I do agree, you might have better luck by moving all the mobile homes into the path you want the storm to take.

15. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I'm thinking more along the lines of a group of Wisconsin'ers (it's the cheese) and a single match.....

16. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

There was a bad tv movie with this theme. I fell asleep after 10 minutes, so I don't know what happened :p

17. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I think I saw this in a Sci-Fi movie once...there was a cloud of nanobots, so the US government decided to drop a nuke ... what the **** that was all about, I'm not sure.

18. afd macrumors 6502a

what about getting everyone walking into a hurricaine with a fan connected to a dynamo and rechargable battery. That way you'd kill the storm and get some free power?

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The guy asleep on the couch drooled all over the pillow, and they used that to save the day.

20. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

I think a smarter way to stop them or slow them down maybe is to cool them down. With liquid nitrogen or something, because heat is what makes them so strong, but what do I know I'm just a PC tech guy.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But that is still screwing up the atmosphere in some way. Anything we do to alter things will make it worse in the long run.

22. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

23. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If you nuke all the people in the path of a hurricane. Then no one need suffer from the storm. Much more humane that way... don't you think?

24. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Neutron bomb?! You know that wouldn't do anything at all right?

25. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Don't suggest this in my SRP ideas thread, I don't have the power to gain hold of a hurricane and a 10MT warhead in Australia...