Stopping programs for automatically....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by veteq, Mar 2, 2008.

1. veteq macrumors member

As per the title

is there a way to stop programs from starting automatically on boot up?
    I am running a beta version of a VPN software that I need for work (last reason why I needed windows). This program shows up in the menu bar after a reboot but is not listed under login items. Security policy is automatically set to ON preventing the OS from seeing any servers in the network. Is there a way to stop it from starting on boot up?

thanks, sorry is this is a newbie question, I'm new to this MAC thing.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

System Preferences>Accounts>#your user name#>Login Items.

3. veteq thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your reply but as per my original message, this program is not listed under my login items.

4. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi!

This may sound stupid, but did you check, the Preferences of the program. Any way of setting automatic start up inside the application's preferences?

/Rupert

5. veteq thread starter macrumors member

I did, it's a beta version with very few options, even when I disable the "security option" it doesn't seem to save it, next time I reboot the system, the option is checked again.

Overall, I am pleased that I can now connect to work without having to use a windows machine, I refuse to run windows on the MAC.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

The fact that it's a beta might be the problem itself. If a preference pane won't allow you to make the change, and it doesn't appear in login items, then it's likely a bug.
    Use whatever reporting procedures are set by the programmers to let them know that they need to fix it.

7. veteq thread starter macrumors member

I am going to do just that, we are going to have a few new mac user join our network in the next few weeks; we need a reliable version before we can move forward.

thanks for all your help