stopping twitter notifications

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by yanki01, Sep 27, 2014.

1. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I'm not sure if i'm the only one but I recently have been getting different type of notifications that I don't want. the one's the I'm not involved in at all. It's either someone who I follow is now following someone else. someone who I follow is tweeting about this or that. someone I follow has favorite or retweeted this comment.

my profile settings were not messed with and have not for a while. I've never gotten these before until recently. not sure what else I need to do?

[​IMG]

2. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Settings -> Notifications -> Twitter

Twitter has increasingly become a source of spam as the company seeks to commercialize its service to satisfy investors.

3. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

well I don't want to completely disable notifications. just stop the ones that have no mention of myself in it.

4. macmacguy macrumors regular

I'm not sure if this is possible :confused:

5. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

did this just start? I also can't get the banner to go away. it tells me I have 2 notifications on the app, when I open it there's nothing. I guess a bug needs to be worked out but i'm not the the bug includes getting random notifications. it only happens once or twice a day but still don't want those notifications.

just searching twitter notifications on twitter, I don't believe i'm the only one.

6. Mafro macrumors member

Maybe turn off notifications for "Twitter Alerts" or "Other" in the options?

7. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Switch to a good Twitter client, like Tweetbot.

9. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

not wanting to pay for it.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

How much did your iPhone cost? $5 for an app that you use every day is a steal. There's also Twitteriffic, which you pay by the feature (free if you don't care about notifications or ads) or $4 for everything. I prefer Tweetbot but both blow the native client out of the water.

11. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

it doesn't matter what it cost nor about purchasing a different application. see my first post.

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I know it's not what you want to hear but it's really the best solution. The previous poster is right, Twitter is only going to get worse as they figure out how to monetize.

This article details all the notification options: http://mashable.com/2014/05/24/stop-annoying-twitter-notifications/You're sure you have the pertinent ones turned off? and did this start recently? Could just be an iOS 8 bug.

13. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I have to agree here. Your decision is going to have to be can you live with adds that Twitter will send you to monetize their service, or pay for a 3rd party app to remove them.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, your notification settings within the Twitter app should be respected, and if not, it's an issue with your account or your install of the app in some way.

Sure, you can work around the issue by getting another app that gives you some other control over things, but the underlying issue of something not being right with your account or your installation/settings would still be there (even if your are hiding it basically by using another app).

15. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

thanks. I first had it downloaded via the application under settings to be able to tweet within iOS. I deleted it and downloaded it via the app store. All my settings reset and adjusted them to my liking. We'll see if that changes anything.