Stops charging before 100%. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wackymacky, Aug 1, 2010.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Anyone else had this issue with their Ipad charging?

Plugging it in to the wall (and yes I'm using the 10A charger), and the iPad charges to about 60%, then stops charging. (the little charging icon changes to the standard battery icon.)

If I unplug it and plug it in again then it starts charging again and will charge to 100%.

Happens both if powered up or in standby

(sad really becasue otherwise is great device)

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

That's never happened to me. It's very curious. I'd say take it to Apple.

3. wackymacky thread starter macrumors 68000

wackymacky

My only real concern on sending it it is that they will replace it with a "refurb" and when mine is only a week old, I don't want a second hand replacement.

The lowest charge I've gone down to is 30%, so perhaps I should let it go completely flat then try charging.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I dot know of there are any iPad refurbs yet.

5. jonnyb macrumors 65816

This happens on both the iPads in my house but it usually appears to stop at around 96% or 97%. It hasn't actually stopped though, and if I leave it it eventually does charge all the way up to 100%.

It's not a big deal for me but it did worry me at first. I've seen others with a similar problem on the Apple support discussions too. i don't think it's anything to worry about.

6. abriwin macrumors member

charging -not charging???

I noticed something similar. I have had mine for less than a week and when plugged into the Mac via the usb cable I get the message 'not charging' when it's about 80% charged. However if I plug it in to the power adapter it will charge, I wonder what's going on here. I spent ages looking for a power adapter before realising that the iPad comes with one as I intend travelling with mine without a Mac, so it really isn't a problem. I also think that £30 for the travel adapters for the charger is a bit stiff.

I guess it might be something to do with power saving software in the OS that stops charging when the iPad is nearing full but I admit it can be a bit of a concern.