Stops retrieving email

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sweetbike40, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I'm ready to fling this phone out the window. The one thing i need working doesn't work consistently. Out of the blue, meaning nothing was changed, it will stop retrieving email. In order to get my mail, i have to shut off the phone and turn it back on. I've tried toggling settings and that doesn't work. Is this happening to anyone else?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It has happened to me. Instead of turning off the phone try going into Mail and holding down the home button until it closes. Reopen it and it'll be fine.

3. Sweetbike40 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

OMG!! Thank you!!!!! I did a search for this and nobody else had an answer. This worked!:D

4. dansante macrumors newbie

I have this problem at least once a day. Thanks for the Home button tip, I'll try that next time! One of the most annoying things about the problem is that if I don't catch it when it gets stuck in its never-ending "connecting" cycle, it absolutely kills my battery. I'm on my second 3G (first one started getting cracks) and I've had the issue with both, so I'm hoping it's something a software update will fix in the near future.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yep, that's the way to make an app quit. It's almost like, if not exactly, like force quit on a Mac. Best way to get out of unresponsive apps.

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Nice tip, many thanks!

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Nice tip, many thanks!

8. joekun macrumors regular

I just noticed this today. Mine doesn't go to a never ending cycle of checking for messages and drain the battery, it just stops checking (even if I manually push the update button). It's very annoying. Hopefully we can bring enough attention to this problem to get it fixed.

9. JIGPhone macrumors newbie

I have this same issue... I either get the never-ending spinny ball or the connection to server failed message. Hopefully we get a fix soon!

10. kis macrumors 65816

do you mean push mail? if so - mine's displaying the same problem. Enabling and disabling airplane mode also works

11. Sweetbike40 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Push or manual. No matter what setting, it happens. It still does. The home button is a fix but doesn't solve the problem. I hope this gets fixed with the next update. Oh, i should add that after i did the home button trick and was able to get my mail, i went to write an email, the sentence just kept going across the screen. One huge line. It wouldn't automatically return within the small screen.

ps. i tried enabling and disabling airplane mode with no luck

12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I've started getting the constant mail connection problem recently, which kills my battery. In the end I had to remove my MobileMe account but I lost all my contacts as well until I resynced with iTunes. I've not had the connection lost issue but it goes to show that the Mail app on iPhone really could do with some attention. Push email doesn't always work until I open Mail manually either.

These bugs add to the list of features which I actually hope Mail gets (e.g. landscape mode, "all account inboxes" view, search).

Thanks for the 'force quit' tip though - that's really useful. :)

13. iFerd macrumors 6502a

This problem of being unable to fetch mail reliably is the subject of a thread of more than 600 posts in the Apple discussion forums. I guess the point of my saying this is that there is plenty of misery surrounding this issue to go around.

It is certain that Apple is aware of it. There is a document in the iPhone help section that recommends holding the home button to force Mail to quit as the current solution. Since this was never a problem for most users before version 2.0 appeared, there must be a problem in the new OS. And forcing Mail to quit is a work-around, not a solution to the underlying problem.