Storage/backup advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by T-bag, Feb 26, 2011.

1. T-bag Guest

Hi all! I just went crazy with my debit-card and ordered myself a MBP 17" AG with a 128GB SSD. :eek:

The SSD is great for performance, but not enough to store all my data (music, video, photo). From before I have a 13" MacBook with 500GB storage, and a 1TB harddrive for TM backup. I also have a custom built pc with windows 7 and esata port I'm not using (currently far away from my location).

What I'm looking for is an easy solution to store all my data safely in one unit, and make it easy to move the data back and forth to the 17". What is the best solution to do this? I definitely want some sort of mirroring system to prevent a disaster. I don't need it to be online, it will be turned off most of the time. I've though about putting the PC to use with disks in raid, but I don't know how to get a windows machine to work with my MBP.

I've thought about selling the 13" to get the money for a drobo or something, but if I can use the macbook as a storage device I might keep it. It's nice having for portable needs and if the 17" needs to be fixed or something. What do you think?

2. paduck macrumors 6502

I'd take the 1tb drive and partition it 200gb for Time Machine and the rest for storage. Pick up another 1tb drive to backup your data if you want.

I wouldn't do RAID - that isn't really a backup strategy. You'd need another drive anyway and if the RAID fails you are done.

3. T-bag thread starter Guest

4. paduck macrumors 6502

That's about availability via a redundant drive. But your risk is corruption, in advertent deletion and single power spike.

Having a separate drive system mitigates those risks. It is also more work, potentially.

5. T-bag thread starter Guest

Thanks a lot for enlightening me. I did not know that. :)