Storage capacity

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cynics, Nov 12, 2015.

1. cynics macrumors G3

I'm still debating which model to get, looking at my iPhone and iPad the majority of space is used my pictures and video. Could you see yourself filling up a 64gb ATV? If so...with what?

Reason I ask is because I feel this is an incremental bump and will be revised a year or two from now and I don't want to waste money on space I won't use. On the flip side I don't want to run out either.

Thanks guys!

2. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

I'm not exactly sure how that works compared to the ATV3 but I use home sharing for my movies. Sorry should have mentioned that I guess

3. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

The ATV4 does NOT use space the same way as a typical computer does. It uses a new technology called App Thinning.

4. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

I aware how app thinning works with bit code, on demand resources and slicing. However I'm curious if I should get the 64gb model or save 50 bucks. iOS uses app thinning as well btw (assuming they fixed it).

How much space are you using and what is occupying that space?

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

6. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Those two statements contridict each other...

7. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

That's just my opinion.

Any input on amount of storage you'd recommend? Like how much space the apps you have are using? And amount of storage left?

8. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

How so?

App slicing downloads the elements that apply to the device, so you dont get elements that only an iPad would use on an iPhone (example).

On demand resources will download additional content as its required. Example would be additional levels to a game as you progress through it.

Bit code allows Apple to recompile binary code.

You still need space on the device, hence the reason I'm curious if I should buy a 32gb or 64gb.

9. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Because you say you understand how it works, then you ask questions about how it works...

tvOS does not always use space the same way for the same apps. There are many variables. The bottom line is that if tvOS does not have the space to perform an action at a particular time, then it will start deleting data off your ATV4 (and without your permission). With that in mind the smart money is on the 64GB version, but get whatever you want ;)

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I went with the 32GB version and I haven't run into any issues yet.

11. cynics thread starter macrumors G3

I just wanted to basically know what the maximum app size was. I wasn't sure if it was like iOS with 4gb max limit and easy to fill the AppleTV with 1+gb size games.

I read the the dev notes of Xcode. Devs are limited to 200mb of permanent app storage on the device, everything else is cached and disposable.

Nothing I'm talking about has anything to do with App Thinning. Sure a dev can take advantage of it but that 200mb limit is the actual space that could be used is all I'm concerned about and the topic of this thread.