Storage data just does not add up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brad9753, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Brad9753 macrumors member

Brad9753

Hi, Just finished transferring all music, video, podcasts etc over from my windows laptop to my RMBP.
    In Itunes, I have a total of about 7GB of audio including music and podcasts and a total of about 5GB of movies, going by what the bottom of the iTunes window says.
    However if I go to "about this mac" and then storage, it says that I have 24GB of movies and 25GB of Music. Just does not add up.

I can't see that the rest is from the OS, so how can I decrease this down to the right amount? Or what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download OmniDiskSweeper (its free), that will provide a complete list of you folders/files sorted by size.

There are hidden folders that you don't normally see and you need to take those into account as well. Omnidisksweeper will.

3. Brad9753 thread starter macrumors member

Brad9753

Thanks, installed that. I started with my photos due to some being replicated, but that also got the 'other' category right down, but as soon as i added them back, the other storage section shot right back up again.

Looking on that app, movies and music seems to have been copied to another location. I transferred the music into a file on the music/movies section and dragged it over to iTunes. Would this have caused another copy of every song and film?

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It would have if you had the "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized" checked in the iTunes preferences/Advanced tab