Storage delima

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tkmcguire1, May 6, 2012.

1. tkmcguire1, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I am using iPad as my only computing device,sold my MacBook off a few months ago,and on March 27th bought a black 16 gb iPad 3 from Best Buy,it is perfect no screen issues or anything,I also have a White 16 gb iPhone 4S which is down to less thane 2gb of storage,I have about 1090 songs and over 1000 pictures,I transferred all my music onto my iPad to and a few pictures and I have quite a few apps,now I have about 2.7 gb left and every time I have app updates I am getting the not enough memory to update message.
    Should I delete the music since I have it already on my iPhone or go for a 32gb? Since I am past my return period I'd have to sell on eBay,it is in new cond still,but id still take a little loss,I am not sure what to do,it is doing fine for me as my only computer,except for the storage issue,I am just afraid of getting one with screen issues as this one is perfect.
    Any suggestions would be helpful:) Sorry for the long post,just trying to give as much info as possible.

2. number84 macrumors 6502

3. tkmcguire1 thread starter macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I guess I really don't have to have them on both I just wanted to make sure my music was safe,I have a large collection,and if something happened to my iPhone I didn't want to lose it,is there a way to put all of it in iCloud?

4. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

rmeadejr

I had the same problem, but mine was with comic books. I just exchanged my 16gb to a 32gb. I was a little nervous due to the screen issues people are having, but I got another good screen. Good luck in what you decide to do.

5. tkmcguire1 thread starter macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

My exchange period was up a week ago so I'd have to sell it,I'm just unsure what to do.

6. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Not sure if this works the same if you're on a Mac, but if you have a large e ternal harddrive, you can just make a copy of the enire iTunes folder. That will assure you have a backup of your your music and everything else too. I've found that extremely useful when moving to a new computer. I just install iTunes on a new computer, set it up with my Apple ID, and then replace the newly created iTunes folder with my backup, and it's as if I never changed PCs.

7. A2DY macrumors member

Could you not just subscribe to iTunes match?

Then you could laccess all your music on both devices if you wanted but also be safe knowing all would be backed up? (not sure on the cost in the US but is not a lot in the UK)

Also if you iPhone and iPad are you only computing devices surely all your music must b from iTunes therefore you can redownload whenever you want for free anyway?

8. tkmcguire1 thread starter macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I could try that,and no all my music is not from iTunes,maybe about 200 of it,the rest was from CDs I downloaded,some from Amazon,and i don't have those cd's anymore so if i were to lose all my music,i wouldn't get it back,if you read my first post I used to have a MacBook before I sold it I made sure all my music was on my iPhone,so I am not sure iTunes match would work.

9. Quiara macrumors regular

Quiara

@tkmcguire1: I would seriously consider upgrading because if you've only had it a bit over a month and you're already running out of space, it's only going to get worse. I've got a 16GB iPhone 4, but my iPad had to have more space just for pragmatic reasons. I use my iPad more often for portable computing than I use my MacBook these days, so it winds up being a media tablet and a portable brain.

While you may "survive" on 16GB this year, what about next year or the one after? Do you really think your data needs will stay static for the life of the device? Obviously only you can make the decision, but chances are you could benefit from more space. Just my 2¢.

10. ZipZap, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

ZipZap macrumors 601

I would assume iTunes Match is a heavy data consumer unless used via WIFI. I dont think I would want to always be streaming my music (which is an often used feature).

Of course, it you have unlimited data on your device then it probably does not matter my most new owner do not.

Edit - Click Me
    What is the advantage of having to pay to listen to your music over and over. Unless you are on WIFI, your using your rather expensive 3G/4G data up.

11. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

If you really feel you need a 32gb then take a chance of asking for an exchange at the store (if you live close) and say that you've been undecided for 2 weeks but you've come to the decision that you really need a 32Gb. Since you are upgrading they may make an exception = problem solved. Worth a try.

12. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

iCloud.

Maybe you could just buy 20 or 40 gigs more of date storage from the iCloud service on your iPad. Still, you'd have to use wifi to get to it, or pay for every time you access it using 4G...

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It's not as heavy of a data consumer as video is--not by a long shot. When I got Match I deleted all the music from my iPhone and I stream it now. I get 3 GB per month and haven't blown it yet. Also, if it's something you like, just keep it on your device. Match on iOS devices is not pure streaming. It actually downloads to the device so you can re-listen later without re-downloading. You can always choose to delete it if you want.

The other cool thing is that I was able to install iTunes at work and use Match there too. And on a PC/Mac it IS pure streaming, so I'm not building up a bunch of music files on my work machine.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz