Storage Disclaimer-How Recent Is This?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iGeek2014, Jun 11, 2016.

1. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

Was just nosing around the Apple Store online and noticed they've changed the blurb around "actual formatted capacity will be less":

Any idea when Apple amended this? Just wondering as I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, that's all.

image.png

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Apart from the 1TB = 931GB thing (allowing foe binary vs decimal), I am sure Apple is attempting to head off the "why does my 16GB phone only have 10GB available out of the box".

Not sure when they changed the verbiage, they've always had some indication that a GB was not actually one billion bytes.

3. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Those disclaimers have always been there, all the way back to the original iPods. They're for people who don't understand how computers work, and will call help lines asking why their idevice is not empty.

4. iGeek2014 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh I know Apple have had a disclaimer since iPod in terms of capacity being less but I wondered when they'd changed it from this, that's all:

image.png

** With thanks to the Wayback Archive **

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Technically Apple isn't lying or deceiving anyone. 1024 bytes is 1 KiB, not 1 KB so:

1 TB ≠ 931 GB
    1 TB = 1000 GB
    1 TB = 931 GiB

The problem is we often use MB, GB, TB, etc. when we really mean MiB, GiB, TiB, etc.

A 64 GB iPhone actually has 64 GB of storage, but only has 59.6 GiB.

6. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

That explains nicely (along with point #1 in the OP's post) why my 128GB iPP has 114GB of storage available.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Yeah. Apple should display 114 GiB, but probably doesn't because people don't know what that is and might get confused.

But maybe not as confused as wondering why their 64 GB iPhone only has 59.6 GB.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

The actual formatted capacity disclaimer has been around for well over a decade. I have a Macbook box from 2003 and it has the disclaimer on it.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not even just that, the whole industry doesn't do it and hasn't been doing it for a long time (if ever really), so it wouldn't really make sense for Apple to do it like that.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

There was a small push a couple of years back, for HD manufacturers, to start using base10 instead of base2, to show storage size. Apparently that just died out. :(