Storage drive and TM drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenglade, May 28, 2009.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

The HDD on my G5 desktop is relatively small. Awhile back, I bought a WD external drive (WD #1) to use for Time Machine backups. In the meantime, my photo collection is growing beyond my expectations so I have added a second WD external (WD #2) to store pix and some other odds and ends.

1. Do I need some type of backup software on WD #2 to use it for storage?

2. Can I transfer all my photo-related software, including the Photo Library, to WD #2?

3. I assume that TM (WD #1)will not back up WD #2 so I'll have to find some other backup source. Any suggestions?

4. I saw in an earlier discussion on this forum that it was not wise to use a storage drive as a scratch drive for my photo post-processing software. I don't understand why not, but if so can I use the TM external (WD #1)?

Apologies in advance for all the questions.

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

You can have TM backup your new external drive to your main TM backup drive. You just have to make sure it's not excluded in the TM preferences.

You can transfer your iPhoto Library to the new external drive. You just need to tell iPhoto where it is. Easiest thing is to move it over, then double click the library to open it. iPhoto should open it from there from then on.

3. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Great news. Many thanks.