storage drive question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nonameowns, Apr 24, 2010.

1. nonameowns macrumors regular

since 2 drives are possible in a mbp, I'm thinking about having 1tb hd as 2nd drive and this ssd as 1st. SSD for applications while the HD for storage of pictures, files, and stuff. Would this work and make sense? I'm still not clear on HD and SSD combination though.

thanks!

2. nonameowns thread starter macrumors regular

also would the installation of the drives void the warranty rendering the apple care protection plan pointless?

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Yes you could do this, and I would advise its a worthwhile upgrade. I would imagine that it would void your warranty as you have to remove the optical drive.

4. nonameowns thread starter macrumors regular

thanks very much! ah of course. no matters. I can take care of the laptop very well and willing to pay more for replacement.

5. kayloh20 macrumors regular

In theory it would void it, but if you are careful in removing the optical drive, installing the optibay, then when the time comes, reinstalling the optical drive, I don't see how they would void it.

6. nonameowns thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm good point. But would they be anal and check for fingerprints and such? :D
    I'll keep that in mind when I need repair.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im not sure about your particular laptop, but I could imagine Apple having 'void if removed' stickers on certain parts of the machine. I know they do within the iPhone.