Storage issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sun622, Mar 7, 2012.

1. sun622 macrumors newbie

I have several Mac hard drives that i have pulled from older Macs.All are EIDE I think. It's the type that come with MDD, G4s, G3's. So my dilemma. I need to buy a multi unit storage holder that will hold 4 or 5 hard drives. I bought a Drobo, but they use some weird connection I've never seen before. Now I'm sending it back. I need solid advice here. Thanks...

2. simsaladimbamba

Drobos use an S-ATA interface, which is the standard for six or more years now for HDDs.
    Maybe this P-ATA / IDE RAID enclosure can help: http://www.cooldrives.com/8hadrusb20ra.html

Ever got your .mp4 playback issue sorted out?

3. sun622 thread starter macrumors newbie

Storage issues

YOU ARE DA MAN!! You've solved the problems-I think. At least I have something to go on. Thanks a million$$

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If these are parallel ATA drives, they must be tiny. Why not get a single PATA adapter, and transfer all the data to a contemporary drive, and get rid of the obsolete drives? That would seem like a better idea than getting a PATA multi-drive chassis.

/Jim

5. simsaladimbamba

I agree, and thanks for posting that idea.

6. sun622 thread starter macrumors newbie

storage issues

I have like 5 or maybe even 7 of these things. I'm thinking buying at least a couple of 500G SATAs and using the single drive enclosures i have now, transfer everything to them. One's a firewire so it will run much faster than the USB. These drives have my photoshop with all the paid add ons so I'm not about to just toss them in the trash.

----------

I'm looking into buying the adapters that the other member showed me. Would these IDE to SATA adapters work in a Drobo 4 bay enclosure? I can then use the biggest IDE drive I have as SATA drives.

7. flynz4, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

flynz4 macrumors 68040

I still think that paying more to preserve PATA drives is a waste. These things are painfully slow. A single 2TB drive is about $115 and would replace all of your old drives. Move the data to that drive and it will work much faster, and you will save money by not investing in obsolete hardware.

Sometimes it just costs more to continue using old technology. It doesn't matter how much you paid for the original... because it is cheaper and better to move forward.

/Jim

8. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

You might want to consider a NAS instead, like a Synology. More expensive than a direct-connected unit, but it's more flexible and allows you to place the unit a corner of a room (with a network connection).

2TB drives are probably more economical than 500GB drives.

Or if you can wait a bit longer, hard drive prices should be coming back down; they're still 20 - 30% more expensive than last year due to the Thailand floods.

9. sun622 thread starter macrumors newbie

storage issues

I haven't seen any drives THAT cheap. Been searching ebay everyday.