Storage Issue?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by JJDolfan92, Oct 2, 2013.

1. JJDolfan92 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so It seems to me like my phone has some storage issues, I believe it has to do with iOS7 but not entirely sure. As you can see from my pictures.. I have 1,3 Gigs available left on the phone, and I'm using 12,0 Gigs in total. Now this does not make sense to me as on the usage break down, I understand I have 1 100 photos which use 3,0 gigs. My phone says I have 47 songs, when in reality that is not the case I only have 13 on the phone itself. So my question is how am I using 12,0 gigs on the phone when I only have 3,0 gigs of photos and 3,0 gigs of apps. I also took a screen shot of the phone when it was connected to iTunes and as you can see, the orange area says Other, 5,27 gigs. What exactly could be using all this space? I am confused overall to me it seems like an iOS7 error, as my phone usage is different than what iTunes usage says. Overall I want to know what could be using all this space as I don't have any music and only 3,0 gigs of photos and apps.

Attached Files:

2. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Storage Issue?

I've seen it where "other" data swallows a hefty chunk of storage. Mine started out and 300 odd mb. Now sits at 800mb or something daft! Only way I knew to clear it was to reset phone and restore. Annoying thing is after I recently reset my device it was around 500mb until I checked yesterday and it was sat at 837mb... Why can't you easily clear this "other" data?! My poor IP4 is only the 8gb model!!

3. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

You should be able to remove the other data by creating an iCloud backup and restoring from that backup.

Edit: But first, go to settings > general > usage, and see what's taking up so much space.

4. ds705 macrumors member

a restore usually clears it up, I remember hearing that sometimes its just previous ios updates that didn't clear out properly

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As always, restore - choose set up as new - do not restore to backup (use tabs in iTunes or iCloud to restore content)

And for the future - consider spending the extra $100 for a 32GB phone - you will NEVER go back to a 16GB model.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Really you have two questions here.

1. What is 'other'?

That's anything that isn't a photo (in your photo library or camera roll), music or video in the iTunes apps, an app (not the data within but the app itself), an iBook.

So emails, messages, app data etc. And yes iOS update files and streaming caches would be in this.

2. What can I do if I suspect my storage is out of wack? Especially my other

Generally this is due to stuff not trashing properly. Could be a fail in an app or simply that you haven't shut off your device recently (it purges trash during shutdowns and their restarts).

So try just turning it off. After it starts the shut down wait about 3-5 to make sure it shut all the way off.
    If that doesn't work, try a hard reboot
    Still nothing, then back that baby up and so a restore. iCloud seems to be the best cause iTunes sometimes picks up the trash if it's from an app but iCloud doesn't seem to. But if iTunes is what you can do right now give it a whirl.

Since iOS 7 is still new I would say do a full restore rather than just an erase off the device settings. If things were wacky something in the iOS install could be too. Might as well clean up all possibles at once

7. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

The "other" has always been a problem for me. sometimes clearing my imessage convos cleans it up, sometimes no. Restore.

I did. Couldn't justify the $100 when I got my 5. I never came close to filling it. Heck, I don't fill my 16gb.

8. cynics macrumors G3

I've never found this to be the case. With only keeping pictures my "other" barely changed. App data even messages get locked up in iCloud back ups.

This is the reason the iOS 6 message bug can only be fixed with a full restore or editing your backup manually.