Storage Location

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Klae, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Klae macrumors member

Hey I have a question about where my applications are stored my primary drive and boot drive is my sad 60gb but I have the 500gb hard drive still mounted and want to use that to put my applications on it. How would I go about doing that so I don't use up all of my ssd memory?

2. simsaladimbamba

Applications are stored on your boot drive* (normally named "Macintosh HD", unless you renamed it) in the Applications folder.
    Look how big it is and decide for yourself, if you should relocate some applications, which can be done with small ones, but not the big ones, as it is not advised to store applications somewhere else, due to accessing the library and vice versa.

To find out, where you hard drive capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
    It is recommended, to have 10 to 20 % of the HDD's capacity unused.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

[​IMG]

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. Klae thread starter macrumors member

Like just dragging them to the 500gb hard drive?

5. simsaladimbamba

It may work with small applications, that have no installer or other dependencies, but with something like iTunes or Safari or Adobe applications it is NOT recommended.
    Is you Applications folder that big, and was my post that out of line?

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You can move the apps to a new HD and then link that folder to /Applications/ on the ssd.

7. simsaladimbamba

See, now there are two conflicting messages in this thread, and as you can also see, the OP probably doesn't know what you mean with "link to applications folder".
    Do you have any guide or info about what you mean?

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Probably nothing at the level of someone who doesn't know how to link a folder. OP, don't listen to me. Sorry!

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

He can try moving the User folder to another partition or drive? This might free up some space, but I don't recommend moving the application folder either.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't move any system files or apps from their default locations. Doing so can cause some apps to fail to operate or update properly. If you want to free up space, move your user files.

11. Klae thread starter macrumors member

See all I want to do is have my program files on my ssd and have my other apps on my hard drive is that possible?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Again, some apps may not operate or update properly if moved from the boot drive. Leave all your apps on the boot drive in the /Applications folder. Move your user files to the other drive.

13. Klae thread starter macrumors member

Alright thank you its all just drag and drop isn't it?

14. simsaladimbamba

If it is just your own files and folders and not your actual Home folder, then yes.
    Otherwise: http://martinbay.net/how-to-move-user-folder/

You could also use symbolic links.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

15. Klae thread starter macrumors member

Alright so one more question would I just be better of getting a bigger SSD like a 120gb?

16. simsaladimbamba

For my mobile Mac I got a 120 GB SSD, after seeing that a 60 GB SSD is a bit small for me, especially if I have 20+ GB of applications. I also have another internal HDD for storing data.
    May iMac has the 60 GB SSD now, but since it is local, I can use a two 1.5 TB HDDs for storing data created with it.

But as I also have a nature of using external HDDs for a dozen years now, I don't mind them.

17. Klae thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i have a 60gb ssd in my mac mini. I think ill upgrade to the 120gb ocz vertex 3 haha.