Storage on the MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by LarmanF, Aug 18, 2013.

1. LarmanF macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about which storage size to get for the MBA, and I'm pretty sure 128GB 13-inch will be adequate.

However, I was just curious as to how much of the 128GB SSD storage is taken up by the OS - or does the 128GB storage size already take into account the size of Mountain Lion.

In other words, do you get a true 128GB of storage, or does it turn out to be less free space once the OS is installed?

2. fark macrumors regular

No PC, laptop, smartphone, or desktop advertises, or has ever advertised, space after the operating system is installed.

You'll probably have around 85 gigs of usable space.

3. ayres macrumors regular

4. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

The formula for storage size selection is straightforward. Determine what you believe you need. Purchase double that figure.

5. yliu macrumors regular

or just get as much storage as your budget allows after determining the CPU/GPU/RAM.

6. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

and remember it's good practice to keep 10-20% free at all times.

7. Dsteller macrumors member

I have a 128gb with plenty of games, softwares, and movies on it, and still have 70GB left

8. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

When i got my MBA it stated i had 104GB as soon as i turned it on.

Hope this helps

9. aircanman macrumors 6502

I'm going to be picking up an 11" for when we go away soon, but I have about 700GB of files/videos/pictures etc, I can't ever get it all on the air so I am keeping that on my MBP for now, and will just use the air for a little music, and browsing, lovely machine for that. Plus if I want to take some films along with me if we go away, I will use a Sandisk cruzer fit which will look just fine in the air, and 32GB of space just like that.

10. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I had a 256gb 2011 MBA. Was able to keep about 100gb free until I started doing some video work. I have external thunderbolt drives, but it's really handy to have your current projects on the fast internal SSD.

Just upgraded to a 512gb 2013 11" MBA. I feel like I've got some breathing room now, and am also able to add some more movies to my iTunes library. The MBA is my primary computer. Works great at home with a big external screen and keyboard. It's also great to have all my stuff wherever I go without external drives.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

12. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

I settled on the i7 and 8gb RAM, but after about three seconds of discussion with my Dad he said the extra hard drive space was a no brainer on such a nice machine. I couldn't argue with that..buy once, cry once is something I try to live by when this kind of thing comes up. I went with the 256, 512 didn't seem worth it to me since I still have over 180GB left on my old Win7 laptop for storage and a 500gb portable HD if needed.

I still have a 32GB SanDisk Extreme 3.0 USB stick if necessary, but I wanted enough room for a 30-50GB boot camp partition for Windows 8 since this is my first Mac. I really don't know if I'll need that Win8 partition, but I wanted the capability of installing it just in case. To be honest, it's only been a day and half since receiving my MBA, but I already question the point of the Win8 partition on this computer..I feel like I might as well use it to upgrade the Win7 laptop this replaced..still up in the air on that.

13. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

+1

The 256 is definitely the standard, unless you would lightly use your MBA (i.e. your primary Mac is a MBP or iMac). In that case, the 128 could be considered.
    Plus, you would decrease the probability of carrying a portable HD.