Storage option for iMac 5K

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MightyTrojan, Jan 12, 2016.

1. MightyTrojan macrumors newbie

I know this question probably has been asked many times before, and I know it's all depending on what programs or softwares people use it with, but I still would like some opinions as I plan to keep it for at least 3+ years.

I can get educational pricing so the difference between 512 GB SSD and 1 TB SSD is about $450 plus tax. I know I can purchase external storage for much less, but I still prefer the internal option as it gives the clean look of iMac(without those cables and stuff). That being said, I also can't justify the $500 spent on SSD, which I may or may not use that much of space in the end.

Honestly, I know my options, but I guess I just need people to convince me to not get 1TB option, and if I were to make decision alone, I probably would go for the 1TB.

My primary use of this iMac would be: photo/video editing, watching movies, a few games on windows via boot camp, and so on.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated, and I would like to know your thought process when you were making such decisions.

Thanks!!!

2. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Why don't you get the 512 option and then get a for example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Cloud-Pe...F8&qid=1452590975&sr=8-2&keywords=wd+my+cloud

I know you don't want an external HD due to wires etc, but at least this can viewed/modified over the network and could be hidden away.

Plus a little bit cheaper then what you was going to pay for. As it sounds like you're having to justify it means do you need it? haha

3. MadDane macrumors 6502a

How much storage do you use on your current system?

4. MightyTrojan thread starter macrumors newbie

about 50% 255gb out of 512 gb of RMBP
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2016 ---

I am really being honest right now. If you ask me will I ever be using the entire storage space inside the iMac, the answer would be no. It is just nice having maxed out machine but also in the mean time I have to justify its value.

5. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I think you have asked your own question then :D As I see it you do not need the extra storage so in your case I would save the money. But if you want it just for the sake of it you could still get it. The resale value will be higher after three years, although nowhere near the premium you will pay for it in the first place.

6. MightyTrojan thread starter macrumors newbie

I read somewhere that SSD will slow down if you reach like 80%. In the case of 512GB, should I be worried about it?

7. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I think as your using 50% at the moment you should be fine like I say you could buy an external HD like I suggested and use it mostly for music/films etc

As mentioned above I think you have just answered your own question haha! If you really think you'll use the 1TB then go ahead and buy it if not, maybe use the top mention above.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nah you don't need to worry about that. It'll be fine.

9. cynics macrumors G3

SSD's will have over provisioning to help mitigate slow downs as the drive fills. Basically it will have space you can't access. I'd still try to avoid completely filling it.

Just get the 512gb SSD and an external HDD. Keep stuff that doesn't need fast access on the external HDD like media. Or you can get an external SSD if you want faster access.

A lot of people swear by SSD's but sometimes it's completely unnecessary speed. For example I keep my movies on an HDD. As long as the content is created on or downloaded to (to avoid copying the entire file) the HDD it's hard to notice since you can't listen to music or watch movies faster than a HDD can read. Even copying the files to and from isn't completely unreasonable (a minute or two).

This way you can save SSD space ($$$) for things that can benefit from its speed including OS X.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you see a steady increase in your utilization over the life of the computer to the point where it will be fill up?

I personally, think you're good to go for the 512GB, there's no need to pay for the premium priced 1TB SSD, but that's just my opinion

11. MightyTrojan thread starter macrumors newbie

After reading another thread about getting 1tb SSD without ever using its potential, I have decided a standard opt iMac 5K with 512gb SSD. Like many people said, spending money on storage that probably will never be used is total dumb and waste of money. I think I'm going for value rather than want.

Thanks

1Tb is way overkill after considering my needs and future usage. 512 it is!

Thanks for the help.

I decided on 1 512 iMac with a WD personal cloud external HDD for the sake of not having cables connected to it. :)

12. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

13. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Wooah didn't think my opinion would ever be used haha if it fails I'm not to blame! The bonus side as well if you wanted to transfer for data over cable you can, at least you have both options there.

Plus like I said you could keep all your music/films on the external HD then everything else on the iMac, at least its a bit of a cheaper option.

14. briloronmacrumo macrumors 6502

briloronmacrumo

So you're definitely looking for an internal solution.

That tells us which CPU you need but not how much storage. You need to ask yourself how many movies? how many photos? Photographers routinely use gobs of space with RAW files where even a 1TB SSD is not enough ( most pros keep their raw files on external storage ). Also, you need to allow for both anticipated and unanticipated data growth. Do you really want to be 2 years down the road and find your internal SSD running out of space? Some folks are okay with this but others not. My rule of thumb for *general* usage is: figure out your current data storage requirements and what SSD/HDD size is required. Now pick the next larger size to allow for growth( or unanticipated growth - maybe you decide to pursue your music interests in the future for example )YMMV. Good luck with the choice.

15. MightyTrojan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for letting me know.

Honestly, I would love to have 1TB of SSD, but I just cannot justify the cost (350 difference after discount and educational pricing). As of now, I only use about half of the storage on my RMBP. I understand that desktop is a bit different than laptop in terms of storing data. Like you said, I may pursue other interests in the future, and that may require extra space for the iMac.

It is a quite hard decision once you brought up "unanticipated growth"

Emmm........?

16. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

You could go for the 2 TB Fusion Drive. Yes only 128 GB is SSD, but that is enough for your OS and likely most of your programs. This way you get the benefit of crazy fast boot up times and the extra storage you want.

17. MightyTrojan thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about it, but I later decided to go full SSD due to the noise of having HDD, like clicking sound, etc.

18. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

It's good to have options.

19. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

Just buy a USB-thumbdrive or SD-card with 128/256GB for a fraction of the cost.
    For file storage the speed is more than enough..

20. zacster macrumors member

I went for the 2tb fusion drive myself. It is plenty fast, but I don't think I have more than 50-60gb total at the moment as I've only had it for a few weeks.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm pretty happy with my 2TB Fusion drive as well. I have about 500GB of it used and its nice to have all my data on one drive as opposed to external drives.

22. briloronmacrumo macrumors 6502

briloronmacrumo

Fusion drives have advantages like lower cost for increased storage but there are some cons like:
    (1) Since there are two drives fused together, if either fails the entire fusion fails ( i.e. doubles the potential failure rate )
    (2) Doesn't allow for easy separation of user vs. system files ( unless Fusion is "defused" )
    (3) Files that aren't used often ( and therefore are stored on the HDD instead of SSD ) will load slowly.
    (4) There isn't much real evidence proving the long-term reliability of a Fusion drive but anecdotal info doesn't indicate there is a failure problem either.
    (5) Internal flash SSDs are faster(like 1000+ MB/s ) than Fusion drives and the difference would be noticeable if real speed is ever needed.