Storage options

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rossy100, Sep 23, 2014.

1. rossy100 macrumors 6502

Some speculation today about storage size and options for the watch. Article (appleinsider) suggests 4GB will be default with an 8GB option.

I really can't see Apple offering different storage options for the watches. There are already so many variations, that adding 2 storage sizes would multiply the possible SKUs again - which makes little sense from an inventory management perspective.

If there are to be different storage options, then the only way I think practical would be if these are linked to the watch editions e.g. Sport - 4GB, Watch 8GB, Edition 16GB. That would make a lot more sense and wouldn't add any stock complications. Indeed it would provide an extra incentive to buy the more expensive models - with only marginal increase in cost for Apple.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the size is going to be the biggest constraint on storage options.

Plus given the intended use, there may not be much of a need for a lot of storage either.

3. Julien, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

While I agree with your premise here is an alternate theory.

The Sport will be $350 and the Watch likely to be $1000. This leaves a huge gap for the Sport to offer at least 2 storage options to fill in.

EDIT: Here is a prediction I made in the Pricing Prediction thread.

8GB 38mm $350, 42mm $450, Space Gray $400/$500
    16GB 38mm $450, 42mm $550, Space Gray $500/$600

4. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

The Sport needs the most storage, and I hope it's at least 8GB. (Unless it reshuffles its music library every time it comes in range of the iPhone?)

5. APlotdevice, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I don't think the capacity is going to be that high, simply because of how long it would take to transfer gigabytes worth of data over a Bluetooth connection.

6. mtmac macrumors regular

As they have identified the computer to be a single S1, I doubt there will be additional capacities, especially in gen 1. As another poster said, there are already a lot of options. Fashion likely will drive the higher lines, not function. The sports watch wouldn't be the one to get a higher capacity even if there are more than one available, as it likely will be the least expensive.

7. SHNXX macrumors 68000

for what, music?
    i suppose listening to music using bluetooth headphones might be nice.

8. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Even for a music library, there are very few cases where it cannot just grab the song over bluetooth from the iPhone. I imagine they will stick it with 8GB NAND flash for the OS and apps and get everything else via the iPhone using low-energy bluetooth. You'd basically be using it as a bluetooth controller for your iPhone's music library. After all, it doesn't have a headphone jack, you won't be playing music off of it directly anyways.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

WiFi hotspot to iPhone according to Apple.

"...Apple Watch also features Wi-Fi 802.11b/g and Bluetooth 4.0 to pair seamlessly with your iPhone...."