Storage 'Other' BS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phightinphils, May 27, 2013.

1. Phightinphils macrumors 6502

Phightinphils

Can someone explain to me why 170gb of my 250gb SSD is the dreaded yellow bar of 'Other'? I'm 6 hours away from the nearest Apple store so I can't just drive it down to have them clean it up a bit. I've gone through all of my applications and deleted useless data with the AppCleaner application.

SOS :apple:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Geez, you guys. Could you just quit fooling around and give OP some useful information!:(

:D :p

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Red Sox play the Phillies today at 6:10PM (CT) in Fenway Park. (is that better? :D)

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, finally!

I'll be watching...:D

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Are you seriously not going to convert to local time for everyone on the forums? You get less helpful every day...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL! What can I say? I'm getting old, slow and tired!

8. B... macrumors 68000

B...

5 years on MR does take its toll!