Storage Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roddenshaw, Sep 28, 2007.

1. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

At the moment very little of my data is backed up, which is beginning to worry me a little. I'm planning to buy an Apple TV and an Airport Extreme in the near future and I was wondering whether it would be feasible to connect a USB RAID array to the AE. I'm not sure whether there are any boxes that act like a single HD (and that could therefore work without drivers) or not, but I'm guessing that someone here probably will.

Thanks for your help!

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm not sure, but i don't see why it wouldn't work

3. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

My concern is that most such drives seem to require specific drivers and therefore may not be suitable for a plug and play device such as the AE. I don't know, though and I'd rather not spend a few hundred pounds in order to find out.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If this is just for backup why not just buy a single large HD?

5. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

My MacBook's HD isn't sufficiently large and so I ideally want to have all of my media on an external drive, especially since I'll be accessing it through the apple TV going forward anyway. In that case I'd have to buy two external drives in order to have a backup, so it seems to make sense to simply have a RAID drive, especially since the read speeds will be higher...

6. roddenshaw thread starter macrumors 6502

I've discovered that the drive I want (a Western Digital Pro Edition II) will work with the AE when RAIDed, so that answers my question. :)