Storage recommendation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Brandon Ess, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Brandon Ess macrumors member

Brandon Ess

I'm getting ready to order a new BTO RiMac (waiting to see if a 27" refresh is coming soon.) This will be my first Mac computer, so I need guidance on storage.

I plan to go fully SSD, either 256 or 512 GB. I will need enough storage to run 2 - 4 virtual machines, each with about 30 GB of space. Most of my data-at-rest (pictures, music, etc,) are already stored on an external drive.

Since I'm unfamiliar with OS X, does anyone know if I could get by with the 256 SSD, store the VM virtual drives on an external drive (maybe a TB drive) and be able to access the VM's through VMWare on the external drive? I know in a Windows world this will work, but I'm not familiar with OS X.

I'd prefer to stay fully SSD instead of the Fusion Drive. Thoughts?

2. deany macrumors 68020

deany

absolutely definitely dont even give it a second thought get 512 GB

I have XP, W7, W10 Parralels 11 limited apps and 512 GB, 200 of which is used.
    So if I had a 256 (which I did have and exchanged) I'd have a measly 56 GB to play with, just not enough (rMBP)

Please dont make that mistake. Pure SSD all the way.

3. shaunp macrumors 65816

What will these VM's do? If they they are in anyway I/O intensive then SDD is your best choice. If they just sit there doing basic tasks from RAM once they are up and running then perhaps Fusion, but you'd be better saving a bit longer and just getting the largest SSD you can afford. You won't regret having a larger SSD, you may regret getting Fusion.

For your bulk data that doesn't require particularly fast I/O (MP3's, documents, etc) this can sit on an external USB disk.

4. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

I have a 5k iMac with a 512ssd and have a LaCie 3TB external drive that I store all my VMs on. it works plenty fast enough as you really don't gain the speed of the SSD for VM's, as so much of the process is run through the emulation framework.

I only got the 512ssd as they had one on the refurb list and it worked out to be cheeper than the 256ssd with my employee discount.

5. Totally Bored macrumors member

Totally Bored

6. deany macrumors 68020

deany

he did say 'either 256 or 512 GB' but yes if money is no object then 1 TB SSD is the largest one available from apple at present I believe. Someone may correct me on that.
    Of course that may change in a few days time.