Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helloshirosan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
What's a good bag to hold a Canon Vixia HF-G20 with the lens hood attached, a Rode VideoMic with Rycote Lyre Suspension System, a Rotolight RL48-B LED RingLight Stealth Edition, and pockets for various accessories such as the AC charging adapter for the camcorder, extra batteries, and a passport style western digital external hard drive? I'd like the bag to hold all of the gear in one place but also for the back to be oversized. It would also be nice to have an external latch attachment for a tripod that is 24.5 inches in length when folded.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What's a good bag to hold a Canon Vixia HF-G20 with the lens hood attached, a Rode VideoMic with Rycote Lyre Suspension System, a Rotolight RL48-B LED RingLight Stealth Edition, and pockets for various accessories such as the AC charging adapter for the camcorder, extra batteries, and a passport style western digital external hard drive? I'd like the bag to hold all of the gear in one place but also for the back to be oversized. It would also be nice to have an external latch attachment for a tripod that is 24.5 inches in length when folded.

Get a Pelican case. Just a big amply one with no foam. Then get a small soft case for each if the items. Like a sleeve for the computer and so on. The Pelican case is "bomb proof" and opens to allow complete access to everything.

helloshirosan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
I was looking into the pelican storm series of cases. Im not too familiar on how it works but if I wanted the foam to be included, do I need to cut out the shape of of my gear or will they do it with precision?

Get a Pelican case. Just a big amply one with no foam. Then get a small soft case for each if the items. Like a sleeve for the computer and so on. The Pelican case is "bomb proof" and opens to allow complete access to everything.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was looking into the pelican storm series of cases. Im not too familiar on how it works but if I wanted the foam to be included, do I need to cut out the shape of of my gear or will they do it with precision?

Storm and Pelican are two different case companies. But make similar products. I know about Pelican. You can buy the cases empty, just plastic shells I suggest doing this. You can also buy them filled with "cubed" foam. This kind of foam completely fills the case and you can remove hunks of it by hand to fit your gear. But I like to buy a normal shot side bag and place the gear in the bag and then the bag in the case. This lets me travel with a hard case but then leave it in the car, hotel or whatever once I get there.

Also you will over the years be buying and selling gear and you'd have to re-do to the cube foam over time you swapped gear.

I've seen Pelican cases take some real abuse like when we dumped some video gear in a white water river and have to go after it. We were un-surprized it was still dry. I;ve have camera gear packed onto stake bed trucks with scuba tanks and what not dumped on top of my gear. No problems. And of course airline baggage machines can't damage the cases.

I did take a large wheeled case in for repair, I'd over loaded it, using it like a dolly and pulled it about a mile on cobble stone street and down some stairs with maybe 150 pounds in it. They gave me a new case under their lifetime "unconditional" warranty. They said the new design has stronger wheels.

When I see a guy with a fitted case I KNOW he is more into gear collecting then photography because to real shooters will take different gear depending on the project.

The other bad problem I hate with custom cut foam is when the foam fits a body with a small lens then I shoot with a long lens and I want to put the camera away for a few minutes, the foam is not cut for the long lens and I have to swap lenses to make the gear fit back in the case. Better if the case is not fitted.

helloshirosan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Sounds like a good suggestion. Although I won't be updating my gear at all unless I go to 4k, but that won't be until it becomes more affordable. I'm actually not a professional videographer. I just maintain my popular youtube channel, so the Canon Vixia HF G20 / Rode Shotgun Videomic / Rotolight ring light is more than enough for what I need with making vlogs. I just want to protect my gear to be stored away safely when not in use. I do like the idea of using an empty pelican case for travel though. I just ordered the Kata CC-192PL which holds all my gear nicely minus my vanguard tripod.

Storm and Pelican are two different case companies. But make similar products. I know about Pelican. You can buy the cases empty, just plastic shells I suggest doing this. You can also buy them filled with "cubed" foam. This kind of foam completely fills the case and you can remove hunks of it by hand to fit your gear. But I like to buy a normal shot side bag and place the gear in the bag and then the bag in the case. This lets me travel with a hard case but then leave it in the car, hotel or whatever once I get there.

Also you will over the years be buying and selling gear and you'd have to re-do to the cube foam over time you swapped gear.

I've seen Pelican cases take some real abuse like when we dumped some video gear in a white water river and have to go after it. We were un-surprized it was still dry. I;ve have camera gear packed onto stake bed trucks with scuba tanks and what not dumped on top of my gear. No problems. And of course airline baggage machines can't damage the cases.

I did take a large wheeled case in for repair, I'd over loaded it, using it like a dolly and pulled it about a mile on cobble stone street and down some stairs with maybe 150 pounds in it. They gave me a new case under their lifetime "unconditional" warranty. They said the new design has stronger wheels.

When I see a guy with a fitted case I KNOW he is more into gear collecting then photography because to real shooters will take different gear depending on the project.

The other bad problem I hate with custom cut foam is when the foam fits a body with a small lens then I shoot with a long lens and I want to put the camera away for a few minutes, the foam is not cut for the long lens and I have to swap lenses to make the gear fit back in the case. Better if the case is not fitted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.