Storage selection for new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DELTAsnake, Jun 28, 2013.

1. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

With new iMac's supposedly on the way I think it's a good time to look at replacing my 24" iMac. I'm looking at the current iMac's to give me some idea what my options will be on the new models.

I think I will just go with the base 27" model with custom storage, but I'm not to sure what drive option to go with. I have about 250gb in just my iTunes library so I need a large drive, but the 512gb SSD is out of my price range.

So what would be the better option to go with and are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?
    A: Fusion Drive or B: Smaller SSD with an external drive?

2. Bear macrumors G3

A Fusion drive would be easiest in terms or managing your data on the system.

Also, since there was a slight price drop on the SSD for the MacBook Air, there should be one when the update the iMac. The question is, will it be enough of a drop for you to be able to afford an SSD?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I went with the 3TB FD on my new iMac. Additional storage is taken care of using a Pegasus R4.

If I didn't already have the T/Bolt unit, I would probably have bought the 768SSD, but not reqired and I saved a little...The FD performs very well too.