Storage solution for 3 iMac edit suites?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rokko, Aug 29, 2009.

1. rokko macrumors newbie

We have 3 iMac edit suites, normally used for editing dv, hdv or motion graphics. Currently we are using the internal hard drives as well as a buffalo terastation 6tb raid drive as a central storage device.

Everything is linked together via gigabit ethernet cables, and while this solution has worked reasonably well for about a year, we are now looking to improve our storage situation as it is beginning to become problematic.

As we are getting busier we are often having to access the same projects from several computers at a time, or having to access stuff from another edit suite while another is accessing stuff from the one I am working on. The buffalo isn't handling this too well. It not often takes ages to load a project or to do any rendering, exporting or encoding, and we often now get dropped frames during playback. Things just generally don't seem to be working properly now.

Can somebody recommend another storage solution? We need to get something that is secure and also isn't that expensive. Ideally we would have some kind of fibre optic system (if that is even possible on an iMac?) but i'm sure that would be way out of our budget - the video department is a very small part of the comany, and it took me long enough just to get them to upgrade to imac from stoneage pc's running premiere.

I'm not enough of a geek when it comes to data transfer rates and that sort of thing, so it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could offer advice

Cheers

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

is it anything close to this problem?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=773943

You might have to go with some FW 800 drives for each suite (Raid?) and then still use the central device for back up.
    Is that possible?

And this could be TOTALLY wrong, but could you have a macpro with a raid set up and use it as a "slave"?

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe