Storage solution for future MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petsk, Jun 3, 2011.

1. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

What do you think will be the next storage solution for Macbook Pros?

Flash storage only (like the macbook air)
    Or SSD only.
    Or SSD + HDD.
    Or Flash storage + HDD.

Personally I don't think Apple will be using the traditional hard drive much longer. I believe we will see a redesign at next refresh or at the second next refresh. If so, we can most likely say goodbye to the optical drive and say hello to either Flash storage + HDD or SSD + HDD.

Flash storage and Solid state drives are still expensive at larger capacities, wish could give us the option of getting a combination of Flash/SSD + HDD, eventough I can admit that it doesn't sound much like Apple. However, iMac has the option of both SSD + HDD, so it's not an impossible solution.

2. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

I doubt they will be getting rid of the optical in MBP models.

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

Flash is SSD...

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

probably just continue to see space upgrades on the base models with regular hdds. maybe a 7200rpm as a base with optional upgrades to ssd but i doubt you will see only ssd because they cost a lot more than hdds and then they cannot keep the mbp at the same or similar price points and would offer less and less space as they try to keep it at said price point, which isn't necessarily practical in my opinion. i also agree that they wouldn't get rid of the optical drive in the mbp line.

5. petsk thread starter macrumors 6502

petsk

Who said it wasn't?

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You kind of did by mentioning both flash and SSD as though they were not the same

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

We won't see SSD as standard for a while, I don't think. Prices for larger SSD drives aren't even in the same order of magnitude with HDDs in terms of $ per GB. A 500GB 7200 RPM HDD is about 5% the cost of a similar size SSD, so I don't expect a transition to strictly SSD anytime soon. We may see small SSD hybrid deals show up in the 20-40GB range, which are reasonably priced. I would assume it would be something probably something similar to what the air uses, as that takes up very little space, then just have the rest of the components as they are.

Yes, many people here are calling for no optical drive, since they don't use it, but many people still use them, in fact, I would say probably more do than don't still. Software comes on CDs, people watch DVDs, rip music, etc. I still use mine enough to want to keep it. I could handle an external, but it would be more of a hassle.

8. Mantasis macrumors member

Any idea of when ssd prices are gonna fall? I know they kind of are right now, so is right now the right time to buy a ssd?

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There's no real way to know. They aren't falling nearly as fast as people expected, and I think it's going to take quite a while before they really drop.

10. petsk thread starter macrumors 6502

petsk

I thought it was pretty obvious what I meant when I wrote Flash storage only (like the macbook air). The Air is not using a conventional Solid state drive = you can't replace/upgrade the storage.

11. petsk thread starter macrumors 6502

petsk

Steve Jobs have stated that the Macbook Air is the future of Macbooks. The CD was removed from the iTunes icon. There are rumors saying that the Macbook Pro will get a redesign sometime soon. The launch of App store for mac and the iCloud service all indicate the removal of the optical drive and possible use of flash storage.

Within a year we will find out who's right and who's wrong :p

12. some-dude macrumors member

I suspect the future of the MBP is an integrated SSD, like on the Air, combined with a built in HD for increased storage. It would allow them to claim the performance edge of a SSD while still being able to compete in terms of storage space (ie, how many people buy a MBP because the MBA doesn't have enough internal storage?).

13. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Actually you can replace the Macbook Air SSD. Aura Pro Express

14. JephJ macrumors newbie

I don't think that the Macbook Pro will originally come with a SSD for a while. Either they increase it to a 7200 and maybe increase the capacity or they switch it for some sort of hybrid drive.