Storage solution - Fusion v/s Hyper Duo v/s RAID

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mjoshi123, Nov 13, 2015.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Okay I've been going thru and trying to figure out best case solution for my iMac 5K which can match my need.
    I got my iMac yesterday. Used migration tool to migrate applications and data I need from my Mac Mini Timemachine to my new iMac. Out of 1 TB SSD it shows nearly 560 GB is full right now.
    So far things looks good. Now bigger questions for storage.

What is best option to follow considering I get 2 bay Thunderbolt 2 external enclosure ?

Fusion of external drives (1 TB SSD + 6TB 7200 RPM HDD)
    HyperDuo of external drives (1TB SSD + 6TB 7200 RPM HDD)
    RAID 0 solution (1TB SSD + 6TB 7200 RPM HDD).

I'm not sure what is difference between HyperDuo and Fusion on OS X.

For Hyper Duo I am looking at this particular enclosure from DataTale RS-M2T SMART

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA54G2GR8529&ignorebbr=1

Anyone with technical information on pros and cons of each solution ?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Both drives need to be the same size for RAID 0.

What's best for storage depends on what you want to do. Are you video or photo editing or do you just want massive amount of working storage? Think about a OWC 4 bay enclosure without HW RAID, maybe $100 more than the enclosure you referenced. Put two 6TB drive in it and RAID 0 them for 12TB of pretty responsive storage. How do you intend to backup all that storage? Add another pair of drives, RAID0 them and then RAID 1 the two pairs. OSXs disk utility can handle it.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't think it can in El Capitan anymore.... well, not the GUI version. You can still do this via the terminal though.

I would not have the only backups in the same enclosure though, because if the enclosure fries for whatever reason then both the original data and the backups could be irrecoverable.

4. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Thank you, primary use is Digital Image editing. With occasional Video editing but nothing much on that right now.
    I currently have 2 6TB HGST drives that are in WD EX2 NAS enclosure. I personally am not too happy with the performance of it so far even in RAID 0 but that could change, I bought Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter yesterday and after connecting to my Mac mini what I'm getting in performance is more acceptable then what it used to be.

Here is my current setup,

iMac 27 i7 + 32GB + 1TB SSD
    Mac Mini i7 + 16GB + 1.5TB SSD

Storage
    2 6TB HGST 7200 RPM HDD in WD EX2
    4 USB 3.0 4TB WD HDD (not primary drives, just to keep it as backup & TM).

Amazon Cloud Drive to backup everything that is on local network.