Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kikuchiyo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hello,

I wasn't sure where to put this post but since it's basically buying advice I decided to put it here.

Right now I have two machines an aging Macbook Pro (2.16 Ghz, 15") and an older Mac Mini (the original Core 2 Duo, I believe). Both have upgraded RAM (3GB and 4GB respectively). The MBP is my work machine while the Mini is hooked up to my TV, where it is used for downloading and XBMC. The Mini has 1 TB hard drive hooked up to it, where I've copied my DVDs and right now my iTunes (there's an additional 1TB external used as a back up of the first).

I need a smaller machine to carry around and would like to have another machine at home. I'm thinking of selling my MBP and buying a Macbook Air 11" this summer if they are updated. I'm also thinking about buying a "home" PC. At first, I was sure I was going to make this a Hackintosh as it would give me a lot of USB ports, expandable storage, etc. However, reading through descriptions, it seems like there is a lot of software tweaking during each round of updates. Is this true, or is vanilla OS X working on the right hardware?

The Air, obviously isn't beefy enough to be my main machine so if I don't build the Hackintosh, I was thinking about the 21" iMac. However, I don't want 3 hard drive stuck to the machine, though I am in ample need of storage.

I was thinking about perhaps using some sort of cable to hook the iMac to the TV and selling the Mac Mini. Or keeping it as a dedicated machine for the TV. Or some combination of that and some kind of home storage system - big enough for my iTunes, movies, and photos. RAID servers don't seem very good as there seems to be too much risk of data loss. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might work?

Any advice on anything would be super appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
It sounds like you need to centralise your storage otherwise its going to get way too cluttered and complicated.

I dont know anything about hackintoshing im afraid, but your current Mini should be able to deal with loads of file storage and sharing with ease, so why spend money if you dont have to aye? If you are happy to keep the mini under your TV i recommend buying either a bunch of external drives or some sort of quiet usb/firewire RAID storage enclosure (don't worry about RAID its actually there to help protect you from data loss :p )

Doing it this money means your gonna have more money to pimp out your Air too :D

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
As Paulywauly said, RAID systems are actually the best at protecting your data.

You might consider a Drobo, which is a 4-bay RAID external enclosure. You could also consider a couple 2tb external drives if you don't want to spend money on RAID. The benefit of a multi-drive enclosure though is that it's upgradeable and you could the 2x1tb drives you already have.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I'm also thinking about buying a "home" PC. At first, I was sure I was going to make this a Hackintosh as it would give me a lot of USB ports, expandable storage, etc.

I guess the first thing is to ask yourself if all those USB ports and expandable storage will really be used. Maybe you would, but I think most people who buy a computer with expandability in mind don't ever expand. Or do very little.

If you want expandable storage, a Drobo or the like would work (as mentioned before). Extra USB ports can be had with a good hub.

Would an iMac work? New ones should be out in a couple/few months. I suspect we'll see a Thunderbolt port on the new ones, which would allow for nice high-speed external storage down the line. And they're pretty good machines these days.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
UNraid

http://www.lime-technology.com

supports AFP and uses a much better raid technology then RAID5.

i have had this running with 22tb for the last year without a issue.

streams to ps3,xbox 360,popcorn hour and time machines 4 macs in my household.

i have edited video from it and use it for central storage.

costs the price of a pc and 79$ software license.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I'm also thinking about buying a "home" PC. At first, I was sure I was going to make this a Hackintosh as it would give me a lot of USB ports, expandable storage, etc. However, reading through descriptions, it seems like there is a lot of software tweaking during each round of updates. Is this true, or is vanilla OS X working on the right hardware?

Vanilla OS X works well on the right hardware if done right it will update just fine using Software Update straight from Apple. One thing you need to be mindful of it is that picking your hardware is the most important part you want the most compatible motherboard you can find along with compatible video card. Which you are not going to find very often in off the shelf machine you need to build it yourself to get the best results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.