Storage space usage of Apple News & other default apps

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Trivolve, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Trivolve macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Has anyone noticed that many of the default apps like Apple News, Stocks, Maps, etc don't show their storage space usage (I'm talking about Documents & Data) in Settings? There's Photos & Camera, Videos, Messages, Sounds and iBooks, but every other app doesn't show how much extra space its data takes up.

I suspect this is part of the huge discrepancy between how much "Used" storage i'm seeing on my iPhone and adding up all the data of my apps. So I tried "deleting" the News app in iOS 10 Beta 3. Boom, 500MB freed up. I know Apple says that their default apps together only take up ~150mb and deleting them only hides them, but a lot of them have so much hidden data storage space used up!

After "reinstalling" the News app and letting it download stories my iPhone available space is back to zero KB. Also apparently in this beta it seems like iOS isn't automatically deleting app cache and clearing up space when my available storage gets to zero KB.

Anyone else want to try deleting your News app and seeing how much data it takes up?

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

The "removable" stock apps themselves are a total of around 150mb that Apple said they are. But the rest will depend on a user by user basis. Because hiding the stock apps also removes user data for that app. So that number will vary quite a bit per person.

3. KALLT macrumors 601

It is definitely annoying that Apple is hiding space usage of many system apps. Music can also cache quite a bit.

4. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

This is really only an issue on the lowest tiered phones anyway, and those are bought by grannies who don't know any better.

5. Latinking25 macrumors member

I can't even listen to Apple Music without going through 3 gigs in a matter of a few hours

6. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

What are you talking about? Apple Music is a streaming service.

7. abrahamw88, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

abrahamw88 macrumors member

abrahamw88

I also just deleted the News app and my available storage has increased by 510MB. I reinstalled it and it appeared to decrease my available storage by about 70MB. It appears to cache alot over time.

8. Latinking25 macrumors member

Obviously Sherlock, have you used Apple Music? If you have used it then you would know that when you stream it caches files on your phone which can accumulate precious storage

9. Trivolve thread starter macrumors newbie

What annoys me even more is that Apple News caches so much but doesn't even work offline. I think there's definitely some problem with its caching

10. bertimus2002 macrumors newbie

My news app is gone and I want to get it back but it isn't on the App Store either. Any ideas? US phone on Verizon.

11. abrahamw88 macrumors member

abrahamw88

I just search "News" in the app store and it showed up for me.