Storage Strategies

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Scott09, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Scott09 macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I know this may be a tired subject and I did do a search before proceeding, but I was hoping I could have a conversation about storage and archiving strategies. How do you store and archive your video? I have a Macbook Pro (which I love), Final Cut Express (which I love), a 1TB external hard drive, and a Canon Vixia HF10 camcorder (which I am very happy with). The challenge I’m facing, and I must imagine others are too, is this. Even though I have a 1TB external hard drive, it’s filling up fast and I want to keep all my video, raw video along with completed projects, for future use. Have you addressed this situation and if so, what is your solution? Do you keep buying external drives? Do you have a stack of DVD’s from the floor to the ceiling? Or do you make your movie, get rid of the raw video keeping only the finished movie and move on with out looking back?

While I’m at it, I should also ask, what external hard drive do you use and how happy are you with it?

Scott

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As you don't use tapes, archiving is not as simple.

I use two backups for my digital footage, meaning I have it on the drive I'm going to edit with, and two other drives, which have the copy of the raw material.

I mainly use the Western Digital (WD) My Studio 1TB HDDs with USB, FW800 and eSata ports. I have several at work (12 I think) and some at home, and even though they are cheaper they seem to hold up very good.

Also for your interest might be the following short thread just from a few days ago: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=809742 .