storage suggestions rmbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kamran9558, Jul 16, 2012.

1. kamran9558 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I am waiting for my 2.6/512/16 rMBP to be delivered in a couple of days but im having a tough time justifying the 450 £ i have to pay extra for 512 GB SSD.
    My total data including music and photos is something around 100 GB and I would definitely have windows 7 installed too so that becomes approx 200 GB (ofcourse mac apps also need to be considered).
    If I buy a base retina i can save 450 £ and instead buy a synology NAS with 2TB hard drive costing 250 £, or can buy a time capsule which is 230 £ i suppose.
    If I go for a synology NAS I may have to buy 2 drives for RAID1 config as having 1 drive is a bit risky considering you dont have any copy on your mac. and this will take my cost to something around 400 £.
    If I go for a timecapsule, as far as I know I can only use it for backups and cant use it as a NAS and then I will have to keep my photos and music and photos on my mac all the time and in this case 512 GB would be the viable option.
    Can someone suggest me what option to go for or suggest any better solution

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

My wife and I are photographers. I will order our rMBPs on tax free weekend (first weekend in August). We will get the max SSD size to use to collect photos in the field. When we come home those files get moved to LaCie 2big thunderbolt drives for long term storage. My rMPB will be backed up by Time Machine to 3TB Time Capsule I already own to back up my Hack. My wife's rMBP will be backed to up a 3TB USB drive ($130 at Costco in the States).

The only data we plan to carry with us is our email accounts, bookmarks, contacts,...etc. We might carry a small slideshow or presentation. But all serious storage is on external drives. Even the largest SSD is no where near large enough for us. I am sure there are rMBPs owners who will never generate enough data to fill the largest SSD.

3. kamran9558 thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to mention that I prefer not to use external drives as it annoys me to carry them and along, I need a solution which can not only backup my mac but also can be used it to dump my music and photos/videos which can be readily accessible .

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Trick question? WD My Passport drives are about the size of a deck of cards, I can't really suggest a solution that will back up, be easy to use, but is not internal to your computer that you'll also be able to access while you're not in your house that's not an external drive.

5. kamran9558 thread starter macrumors regular

when i said external drives i meant the USB ones not the network attached ones.