Storage: What you got?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by supercooled, Feb 6, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Is this the right forum? Well, assuming that it is, I'm going to ask what people use for their storage resevoir. You know, the hardcore Mac geek or eccentrist who has the high end stuff, mac pro with a rackmount in the closet or basement with Giga-ethernet and NAS.

Well, I'm looking to get a multi-bay (4 or so) RAID enclosure that will get between 2-4TB of un-RAIDED space. I already have multiple enclosures strewn across my desk which isn't the msot efficient way to work so looking to consolidate my stuff.

List yours and post a picture if you've got it.

Thanks

EDIT: I'm looking into the CalDigit S2VR HD but those are discontinued and hard to find.

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, I'm not exactly the best example, but I have an old 200GB Seagate HD that spins at 5400RPM. Pics later! :D

3. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

Maxtor 160GB Drive - [Media storage]
    Maxtor 320GB Drive - [Media storage]
    Bufallo 500GB Drive - [time machine]

I'd like to eventually replace the Maxtor's with GDrives or something that matches my mobile work station better.

4. eji macrumors 6502

eji

External:

500GB LaCie Big Disk Extreme (triple interface)
    500GB (2x 250GB) Formac. I hate this HD.
    500GB WD in a generic SATA-capable housing.
    500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro Aluminum. I don't think I'll ever buy another brand after owning this HD. It's great.
    250GB (I think) DigitalPlanet FW400 drive

Internal:

500GB Samsung SpinPoint. This is my current HD of choice. NewEgg has the 750GB and 1TB models on sale today. I'm very, very tempted to stock up.

Side notes:

I'm expecting a 7200.11 750GB Seagate to replace the seven (yes, seven) drives with faulty firmware they've sent me. That might go into my iMac, or it might go into a multi-drive OWC housing that I haven't bought yet. My old 250GB HD from my iMac needs a home, too, hence the multi-drive enclosure.

What's on them? Time Machine and DVD/music/software backups in lossless formats like Apple Lossless or disk image files (I'm big on digitally archiving all my media). I can never have too much external storage, though the tidier members of my household would probably say otherwise.

5. amusiccale macrumors 6502

[external]
    500gb Lacie d2 quadra on FW800
    160gb Simpletech junkdrive (5 years old now) on USB2
    [internal laptop hard drive, 160gb 5400]

6. lost eden macrumors 6502a

If you're looking for a decent external RAID enclosure, I would recommend looking at something from Stardom. There is bound to be something in their range that fits your requirements & their stuff is very well built & of very high quality. Thecus also deserves a look.

Personally, I have the following;

Desktop;
    160GB SATA Seagate Barracuda (boot/root/home/tmp)
    320GB PATA Seagate Barracuda (storage)
    320GB USB Seagate Barracuda (manual backup of storage)
    I want to replace the USB disk with another PATA one so I can run them in a nice internal mirrored RAID. Though it's already reporting 88% used, so I should probably save my pennies for a TB RAID5.

Laptop;
    60GB SATA Toshiba

Decomissioned desktop;
    2x 40GB PATA Seagate Barracuda
    60GB SATA Maxtor

Decomissioned fileserver;
    6.4GB PATA Quantum Fireball (boot)
    20GB PATA Maxtor (scratch)
    2x 20GB PATA Seagate Barracuda (mirrored RAID)

Decomissioned mediamachine;
    40GB PATA Barracuda

Spare externals;
    80GB USB Maxtor (3.5")
    40GB USB Samsung Spinpoint (2.5")

As you can see, I favor Barracudas somewhat :)

Of course, I also have a whole myriad of older drives, IDE & even SCSI, ranging in size down to about 48MB.

7. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Internal: 160 gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
    External (Time Machine): 400 gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 OWC Mercury Elite Aluminum
    External (Master Archives): 250 gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 OWC Mercury Elite Aluminum
    External (Book shelf, retired archive storage): 80 gb Western Digital Caviar LaCie Porsche

As another has said, after owning an OWC Mercury Elite Aluminum, I doubt I'll ever buy another brand external drive.

Also, I'm partial to Seagate drives.

8. hydrokayak macrumors member

How about a Drobo? I'm not sure what you want to spend -- or if FW800 is a big deal for you -- but they work great fro mall I hear. A little slower than USB2.0, but for something like Time Capsule -- it's be sufficient -- and nearly fool-proof.

9. Jeff Hall macrumors regular

Jeff Hall

Media Storage
    • 1 TB Newer Tech Guardian Maximus (RAID 1)

External Backup (bootable)
    • 320 GB WD PATA (Venus DS3 FW400/800/USB2 enclosure)

LAN Backup
    • 1 TB Time Capsule (to be ordered soon)

10. Foxile macrumors regular

I'm using a Thecus N4100+ NAS with 4 x Hitachi Deskstar 500Gb drives.

Although I use mine in RAID5 config, you can easily pop in whatever size discs you like and run it as a JBOD setup.