Storage: Why does my iPhone keep doing this?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ke1ington, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Explanation in photo. I'm getting a little tired of having to restore again and again...

Attached Files:

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

you click on your iPhone
    and you are given sections in the middle. apps, movies, tv shows, etc etc

you need to select each tab and find out what is being synced to the phone to cause it to be overcapacity. perhaps you have selected all video or selected all songs checked. uncheck each category one by one until the capacity limit has been resolved. and then when you find the category that is causing this error you can tell iTunes to sync less stuff.

i don't think its a restore problem, if it was something to do with the phone you would see a lot of "other".

i can't tell from the picture if this is caused by "Other" data.

try clicking on manually manage music and video

if it is "other" then you need to back up the iPhone and set it up as "new"

another problem i have seen with a lot of "other" is iTunes match
    you forget to delete your music in the iPhone and you click on turn on iTunes match. all your music gets thrown in "other" and it stays there until you turn off iTunes match and delete the music manually

your picture .. its just cropped too much. you should of posted the entire window.

from the looks of it i think your telling iTunes to sync your entire music or video collection

3. Ke1ington thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Yeah I did crop it a little tight. Sorry.

The issue is there's an equal amount of "Other" storage and music storage, which tells me it's trying to sync my selected music twice. I have it set up to sync certain playlists and not my entire library. I also don't have a match subscription so that's not the issue.

The main gripe I have is that I've been through this more than once before. I've set up as new and restored from backup and both fix the issue only temporarily.

4. bugaboo12 macrumors newbie

I think my husband had a problem (or something like it) when he was on the iOS8 betas. He had to temporarily set his syncing (photos and music, in his case) to "manual" and select to sync no music, to get iTunes to clear the music off of the phone. Then after a successful sync that way, he could put the syncing back to the items he wanted on there.

5. Ke1ington thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I'm not using the beta on that phone. I tried removing everything but that "other" data was stubborn and wouldn't move no matter how many times I erased, synced or reset. :/

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Have you tried looking at settings -> general -> usage on the phone?

7. Ke1ington thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Here we go again. Same issue, different phone.

Can anybody help me understand why this is happening? I've restored twice tonight and it happened both times.

Is setting up as a new phone my only option?

Attached Files:

8. thomasanderson macrumors member

I too have issues with "other" storage being a PITA. Weird how Apple ignores this issue even though sooo many users have a problem with it. They must be using that "other" for something we dont know about.

9. Venske macrumors newbie

Missing 33GB after iOS8 update

Just before vacation I updated my 5S;
    Firstly, the update went wrong and I had to use my latest encrypted backup for restore. Secondly, iTunes sync failed due to 33GB of missing storage.
    I do have 64GB almost full, but the sync failed because of missing 33GB.
    However, I am on vacation and do updated to 8.02. Still no improvement.
    I have to save my videos and photos on my mbp to get space for additional photos.
    That's not what I expect from a world leading company with its most advanced mobile OS.

Perhaps we'll find a solution. Once back home next week I will transfer my data and sync (iMessage etc.pp.) and delete all music and videos on this device and sync again. Hopefully, this malfunction is away.

10. thomasanderson macrumors member

This has been an issue since ios6. The fact that Apple doesn't fix this has to be intentional. I don't know if it's too force users to upgrade storage or they simply don't care because they sell a record number of devices every year. Either way it's really shady.

11. Venske macrumors newbie

SOLUTION:
    Just back from vacation and still angry because of all trouble I had with the iPhone update to 8.0 iOS during last the fortnight.
    But I transferred my pictures, created a fresh encrypted backup and reset all data on the iphone device.
    I reseted - restarted - restored my 5S and approximately 50GB are now available for use. Just like a new phone. The Other Storage is occupied with 1,3GB only.
    --> It was not sufficient to restore with the latest bkp without prior deleting or
    reseting the whole iPhone device.