Storage woes

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by XTheLancerX, Jun 4, 2015.

1. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I have a 16GB iPad and iPhone and I have no room left. I usually wouldn't have this problem, but I'm trying to store some videos for a road trip I will be going on tomorrow. I have had iCloud Photo Library enabled, hasn't caused me any issues. However, now I want all the photos off my iPad so I can store more videos. How do I do this without deleting the photos from iCloud/my iPhone?

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

i did that recently and what i have done was disabling iCloud Photo on my iPad. it left the downloaded pics behind which i then deleted. after i moved the stuff i needed space for on my iPad i enabled iCloud Photo again and it redownloaded the pictures as optimized versions

3. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Ahh okay that makes sense. Since you don't have iCloud Photo Library on anymore, when you delete the pictures they won't be deleted from the other device because they no longer are "linked". I will import backups of the photos to my computer just in case something weird happens lol. Thanks for the info. Just didn't want to ruin all my photos somehow. :p

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Do you store music on your devices? If so, you might look at MusicMatch. I myself like the service and it allows me access to all of my music without the need to store any on my devices. You can if you like (similar to photos) but have the option to play from the cloud. That would reduce your storage needs too.

On your photos. Have you turned on the optimize setting? It will reduce your photo storage quite a bit. Turning it off will use no space but if you want your photos consider the optimize option.

5. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I don't really listen to music all that much (I know, I'm weird) but if I do, I use services like spotify or sometimes even use YouTube to find a certain song. So that isn't an issue for me.

I tried the optimize storage setting, and it saves me well over 2GB but it's annoying when I try to show a video to a friend and it has to buffer. Doesn't this eat up data if you are connected to LTE as well? I don't need all the photos on my iPad, really. I will temporarily delete them to make room for the video, and put them back on when I'm ready to get rid of it.

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Yes, you use data to download the full quality image and it can be slow if you're trying to show a series of photos. It does however let you have your photos with you. (If that's what you want)