Store audio in app or stream?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mrl72, May 21, 2010.

1. mrl72 macrumors regular

I'm designing an app that has a ton of audio clips, possibly in the hundreds. At first I thought about streaming the audio from a central server but this would be costly in terms of data transfer. So is it possible to compress and store the audio clips in the application itself? Granted this might make for a large download. The audio clips will be about 1 min in length.

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Of course it's possible: look at all the games etc that have sounds, background music etc. They are not streaming it.

3. mrl72 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I guess what I should have also asked is there a way to get the app size down if I had say 300 audio clips that were all 1 min in length?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mostly that will depend on what the audio clips are and how much quality you are willing to sacrifice. The iPhone can natively play back MP3/AAC (and probably more). You can choose the bitrate. Lower bitrate = smaller filesize.

Having said that unless your app is absolutely massive I can't see it being a problem. Given that 1 minute of 128kbs MPS (stereo) is about 1Mb is a 300Mb app a problem?

5. mrl72 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think it's possible to publish my audio clips as podcast episodes and be able to stream to the iPhone that way?

bump