Store data on External HHD for IOS

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gaogier, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Gaogier macrumors regular

Hello

My sister has an Ipad, I have Iphone, My other sister has Ipod touch.

I want to know how if there is away to store data - example tv shows and movies downloaded onto the IOS devices onto the external HHD.

I know you can store data on Icloud, but what happens if you already have a 2TB external HHD with airport extreme?

2. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Hey there, i'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but here it goes...

I have a 1TB external drive connected to my PC which houses my entire iTunes content. Basically anything that gets added to iTunes such as Music, Movies, apps, podcasts, etc...gets stored in my external drive. In iTunes preferences there is an option to define the location of your iTunes content, simply change that path to your external drive.

3. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

We have that set up for our MAcs, but can that be done for IOS devices?

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I agree with hchavarria, we are having trouble understanding what you want.

Your mobile devices can sync with iTunes, and if you go into the tab about movies or music or whatever you can choose to sync stuff on your computer or even attached drives.

If you mean can you just attach a 2 TB hard drive? The answer is no. There are apps, however, that allow you to access file servers and whatnot. Check out Air Sharing, for example. And some files on the network can be streamed to your mobile devices; check out Air Video for an example of that.

Rob

5. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

I am wanting to store movies and tv shows wirelessly via the airport extreme and. Store them in the hard drive that is connected to it.

6. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

7. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Check out FileBrowser and Files Connect in the App Store. Both apps will enable direct network access to network storage drives, Windows, Linux, and OSX systems, etc. Both apps are $4.99.

8. spikemike macrumors newbie

The centre of the universe, Braintree, Essex, UK
    FileBrowser works a treat, just check your video is encoded correctly. I had huge problems with some HD film, just used wondershare encoder and solved the problem.