Store Display Units

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roland.g, Sep 29, 2017.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I realize that Apple (and other retailers) don’t like to have in store displays of products that are not available as that can confuse consumers, especially those that aren’t following release dates and such.

But it would be nice (and you know there are enough produced) if Apple put display units of the iPhone X in Apple stores now rather than waiting until launch day.

2. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

As far as I remember Apple has never done this. If you want an iPhone X as soon as possible, just preorder it on October 27. If you don't like it, you can always return it.

3. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

The new iPhone is always put out on launch day, not before - Apple would like to keep it a surprise!

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Demo models will never be displayed ahead of launch. The iPhone X certainly won't be any exception either.

5. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

It wouldn't make any sense. It either:

1) Make consumers frustrated that they can't have what they want, and eventually try to get enough hands on that they try to think of ways they can 'feel' they are sick of it and pick up some other phone.

2) Increase chances of theft at an Apple store.

3) Apple loses the consumers that are anxious about the new phone since they can't even touch it... (who may end up not waiting because they realize how it is not a big deal, or prefer some other phone)

6. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

Some of the products I would like to see ahead of time and the iPhone X would be one of them. I don't like to return things. I waited to see the first Apple Watch to determine which model if any would work for me and after ordering launch day I waited 2 months to get my watch. I also think there were a lot of unnecessary returns on the watch and some people bought multiple watches planning to keep one and return the others since they weren't sure what they wanted. I bought the iPhone 8 based on seeing it and loving it, but had planned on preordering the X before that. Maybe if I had seen the X first it would have been the other way around (but I hope not). :)

7. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

While I'm sure people would like it, this would also interfere with the way they get reviews. As it is reviewers get demo units approximately the Monday before pre-order and the embargo drops a few days ahead of shipping. If you could get hands on in store then I'm sure many people would dismiss the reviews assuming that their 30 seconds of hands on time (because there would be a massive queue) was more accurate.

8. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

I've always thought that they should put them on display the same day that pre-orders go live. I understand not putting them out before that, but it makes sense to let people touch/use them before they place an order.

I highly doubt they will lose many sales of the old models in the one week between pre-orders being opened up, and the phones actually being released. Most people would have heard about the new phone by the time pre-orders are available with all the media coverage Apple phones get these days.

My guess is they would probably end up selling more phones thru pre-order if people could go look at them ahead of release day.

I don't think theft is as big of a deal anymore. I would assume the store displays are pretty locked down with their demo software, and unable to be reset to where a person could actually use one for themselves. I would think they could only be used for parts.

9. Macalway macrumors 68030

no

And worse, when you call the store some clerk will tell you they do have them, even if you ask them to look at it while your on the phone. You see, Apple is an equal opportunity employer and hires imbeciles :)