Store gmail emails on server with mail.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jonyen, Mar 6, 2010.

1. jonyen macrumors newbie

Hi, this is my first post. I am trying to use Mac mail.app for my Gmail account, a paid account holding about 10GB of mail. I have no trouble setting up the account in mail.app, but I gather IMAP set ups store all the Inbox locally? Certainly set up of the gmail account in mail consumes over 10G of my precious MBP HD space.

So, is it possible to set up Mac mail with webmail so it that it more or less acts as a UI for the webmail account? I know I could easily use an app like Mailplane (nice but constantly crashes for me) or just a browser, but I am frustrated by the fact that OSX defaults to mail when an email link is clicked (maybe there is a fix for this) and I do like drag and drop file attaching, as well as the integration with iPhone, mobileme etc.

I hope this question makes sense

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, Mail can't be used as a UI for the web-based Gmail access. IMAP is designed to sync messages between your hard drive and the server. If you don't want your mail on your local drive, use Gmail's web interface.

3. jonyen thread starter macrumors newbie

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Just a couple of points: POP is where messages are downloaded to the computer for offline access. IMAP is for all intents and purposes streaming from the server to the computer. And also, since when did Gmail cost money?

5. jonyen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for explaining IMAP and POP so clearly, JediMeister, concepts I have neglected to find out about.

if one is an incurable hoarder and email addict like me, the standard free Gmail storage space simply isn't enough (I have emails in Gmail dating back to 2004), and Google will sell you an extra 20GB space for USD5 a year, which I purchased.:):):D

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Wrong. IMAP also downloads copies of emails to the computer for offline access. It is NOT "streaming."

Gmail is free, but one can pay for additional storage capacity:
    https://www.google.com/accounts/PurchaseStorage?hl=en

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree with this post.

I suspect that the OP would be interested in the ability to have Apple Mail sync with just the "inbox" portion of their Gmail iMAP account... but not contain all of the data that has already been deleted. In my IMAP gmail accounts, in the section at the bottom of my sidebar... I can see local copies of all of my Gmail email messages. Like the OP, I would be interested in removing those... while still letting the messages remain on the Gmail servers. I have no idea if that is possible.

/Jim

8. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You can actually control what IMAP folders show and sync between Mail and your Gmail account. Just login to your Gmail account through your browser, go to Settings and then the Labs section. Enable the Advanced IMAP Controls, then go to the Labels section in the Settings and you will see a whole bunch of new options for controlling what IMAP will display in Mail, or any other email client.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Absolutely brilliant. Thank you very much!!!

/Jim

10. s1m0ne macrumors newbie

Hi folks, I have a very basic but awful problem with IMAP which I use to connect gmail to mail.app When I send an email from the server it is saved only in the server sent mail folder but not in that of my mac, while if I send an email from my mac it is saved in both folders automatically. The show in IMAP box is checked for sent mail in the gmail labels preferences panel. If I do "Synchronize Gmail" for the sent mail Mailbox in mail.app nothing happens. Any suggestion? Thanks