Store in iCloud but not on computer

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by ndalum, Aug 22, 2015.

1. ndalum macrumors member

My Macbook has only 250GB harddrive but I want to store about 200GB in the icloud. How can I store documents in the cloud so I can access them from my ipad or other computers without keeping a copy on my Macbook? If this is not possible, is there a service to do this? I don't want to keep the documents on an external harddrive because I want to be able to access them when I am away from home. What allows me to keep documents only in the cloud but without a mandatory copy on the computer. Dropbox doesn't do it either. If I delete from either iCloud or Dropbox on my computer it also deletes from the cloud.

2. Tech198, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

Tech198 macrumors G4

i would never trust the cloud only with my data....... if your wanting to store in the cloud that's what i do, bu i always have backups on local external drives..

With Dropbox u can use "selective sync" and uncheck all boxes.

Nothing will be local, but will be accessible with the app. I have 256 Gig SSD and have a lot of photos on Dropbox, i can't keep on my Mac due to the size.

Keeping backup local is always best, even if u don't use i=the drive.. Keep it somewhere on a shelf, just as long as its accessible when u need it, because it service goes down for whatever reason, and they can (noting is full-proof), and u need those documents, u'd be lucky u kept a local copy somewhere..

If storage is an issue, i keep all my stuff on external when i need it...

Alternatively, uninstall dropbox on that machine if u don't use it..... Your files are still available. Deleting dropbox application is does not touch the account.

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/41

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

iCloud keeps a local copy on your Mac so you can't. Also you shouldn't because iCloud is NOT a primary source or a backup. It is a syncing/convenience service (same with Dropbox). You should have a local copy AND at least one backup if unimportant. If the data is important you should have at lest two backups with one off site.